Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

1-10 combo or just 1-10?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Flat Bass, Nov 21, 2003.

1. Flat Bass

Flat Bass

Dec 8, 2002
    I am looking for a good combo to play upright and electric throught that is very portable. I was thinking about the SWR workingmans 1-10, or Baby blue series, or Acme 1-10 with my eden 400, or maybe even a epifani 1-10 with my eden WT 400. I am using a knilling 3/4 with bass max and preamp, and a fender jazz, and hopefully a new 6 string soon.

Thanks

2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I would go with just a cab and use the Eden head.

Why? Cheaper, more headroom (the Eden head is higher powered than any of those combos).

As far as Epifani vs. Acme, how loud do you need to be? The Epifani will get a loud louder than the Acme. Personally, I dumped an Acme 2-10 for an Epifani 1-12 (for volume reasons) so that tells you what my choice would be.

3. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Go for the separate 1x10, for all the reasons stated by Brian, above. I have not tried the ACME, although I do have an Epifani T-110UL, which I thoroughly enjoy. I generally use it in conjunction with a T-112, and I really like the pairing of these two cabs. The sum of the whole is far greated than the parts, IMHO.

Another route you might want to consider is the EA Wizzy 1x12. It is pretty light and portable for a 1x12, and it is 4 ohm, so it would get the most out of your WT 400. Of course, adding a second cab might be more difficult.

Joker has used both Epi and ACME 1x10's, so maybe he will chime in.

Tom.

4. Aram

Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    I have a WT-400 and an Acme 110 that i will be using with an upright (wired with a Realist) at a gig tomorrow night. The gig is with an acoustic guitarist/singer, and the rig will be strictly for stage volume (i hope!). I'll let you know how it fares.

I had previously used a carvin 100 watt 110 combo that i had dropped a Bergantino 10" into. It sounded great for stage volume, and even had some decent headroom, but the damn thing died on me last gig :eek:

peace,
    A

5. Aram

Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    I'm sorry -- I didn't use this setup...there was a Hartke combo on stage already, so i just plugged in and played since we were pressed for time. Needless to say, that was a big mistake. Mudsville. I'll let anyone that's interested know how the Eden/Acme rig sounds at the next gig if i use it.

-Aram

6. Look at the Eden CXM-110. It's a very nice little cab--huge amounts of bass for its size--and it's not too expensive. I used to own one and powered it with a WT-300, and it was a very nice practice/small gig setup.

7. I had the chance to play an Eden WT-400 (or maybe it was WT-330) through an Epi 110 Ultralight at The Gallery recently and I was absolutely blown away by the sound. Very rich, much more bottom end than you might imagine and a very precise, sweet tone. It was also super portable. Delicious.

8. I vote for the standalone 1x10 plus separate head. Two pieces are individually lighter weight, and easier to carry/position inside the vehicle. More important to me, the electronics are physically isolated from the pounding they get when mounted in the driver cabinet.

Separates allow you to mix and match down the road for gigs of varying size. The high portion of my bi-amp rig is a pair of JBL E110 as 1x10 cabs. I have a 1x10 subwoofer in glue-up now that is a match in cabinet size to the E110. I can take these two 1x10 into low noise gigs and they occupy very little space.