Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

1-15 Bergantino or Epifani?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Flat Bass, Jan 20, 2005.

1. Flat Bass

Flat Bass

Dec 8, 2002
    Will be using for electric and upright. I will be using a SWR SM-900 or a Eden WT-400 with it. R bass 5, Fender Jazz 4, upright. Play all kinds of music from country to Latin. Looking for a very versatile single cab. I have been using a Bag End
    S-15XD and a S-15D for the past 5 or 6 years or so. How will these epifani 1-15 or Bergantino 1-15 compare to a Bag End S-15XD.

2. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    I have no Idea about the Epi cab.

I love the berg115 so much I own Two!

Aj

3. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    Both will have better low end extension than the Bag End. The Epifani will have a very blooming bottom that is full and thick with sweet as molasses low mids. The Berg will also go quite low and have excellent bottom but will sound tighter and perhaps a little more even overall than the Epi with a little more emphasis in the higher mids. Both cabs' tweeters are to die for.

I really and truly love the tone of BE 115's and the portability factor makes them even more endearing but IMO, they just lose too much volume with the low B-string at any usable volume. The BE will be punchier with more overall midrange emphasis. This might make it appear to be louder because of the added presence and cut, but I think the Epi and Berg cabs are probably louder overall when you get right down to it. I found the Berg to be a little too bright for my tastes when I paired it with an SWR SM400S. I think the Epi might be a better match for an SWR head if you want an overall even response (and you might not)... They would pair nicely and be very complementary to each other. I think the Eden might be a better match for the Berg because of the opposite voicings. Eden heads and Epi cabs are a good match as well but sound very deep and dark. You might like the Eden with the Epi though. That whole YMMV thing... What tone are you looking for?

4. Flat Bass

Flat Bass

Dec 8, 2002
    Thanks for the reply guys. I am looking for just a very good all around tone for all different styles. Good solid tone like my Bag Ends have been for me.

5. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    Just an FYI,

BE now makes a 1x15 that is a bit larger than thier S15D, calling it an S15LD or XD. It is the same size as thier D10B. If you want a little more low end and like your BE sound, this might be your ticket. It will stack with your current BEs too.

cb56 should be along any time now...