1-15 in. vs 2-10 in. speaker(s)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by GTI, Nov 27, 2003.

1. GTI

Nov 27, 2003
    OK, so I'm ready to buy a new combo amp. I've narrowed my choices to a handful based on power and costs. One issue that I need more experience in my decision is...one 15 inch speaker or two 10 inch speakers. In my 25+ yrs of hobby-playing, my only speaker experience is with a single 15 inch. I know nothing about a two 10 inch set-up. I would be open to knowing the difference between the two choices. Anyone feel free to weigh in your opinions on this subject.
  2. 2x10's will give you a much more articulate, punchy sound. I like them alot more than 115's because everything is more tight to me.

1x15's usualy can handle alot more low end, and not so will high's, unless there is a horn. The 15 gives you a more thumpy tone.

it depends on your playing style, but, also, 2x10's are alot more versitle than a 15. I have and currently use both in the same set up. the 10's give me cutting punch, and the 15 gives me the low end fatness.
    SanDiegoHarry likes this.
  3. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    The difference depends on the head as well as the bottom. alot of the newer cabs are very fast cabs, meaning the response is quick. I used to have a GK 1x15 combo that was very fast. You should go out and audition a bunch of different amps and see what sounds good to you. What sounds good to you might not sound good to someone else and vise-versa. I now happen to have a GK1001RB 2x10 with a 1x15 GK RBH cab under it.
  4. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Yeah, it depends on your sound. If you like an old school Acoustic-370-ish sound or SVT sound, then the 15's for you. If you like the more precise punchier sound then maybe a couple of 10's will serve you better. Usually the cab with the 10's will be a little heavier 'cause the magnets on those dinky speakers have to be a little bit beefier to handle the high power. Personally if I only had one choice I'd take the 15. I use a BagEnd S-15, it's got plenty of punch and it packs a wallop. Nice speaker.
  5. I'm usually a small speaker kind of advocate; however, as the previous reply suggested...try 'em all! I made the mistake of ordering an Ampeg B210, brand spankin' new online, 'cause I needed a small combo to do an out of town-er for a couple of weeks and didn't want to take my vintage tube B-15 into the great unknown, (you never know where you're gonna have to cart you gear!) Anyway, that 2 10 combo sucked so bad I pleaded with the soundman to just set me up a monitor with a dry signal from my bass. (I'm glad he was in a good mood.)
    So the moral of the story is...there are A LOT of factors to consider before a purchase and no one with any sense in their head can say, 'oh...this one is definately better than that one...' because it has this or that speaker configuration. Only YOUR ears will be able to judge.
  6. You get what you pay for.

JBL, PAS, E-V, Fane, and B&C all make punchy 15" drivers. These drivers all have a common point: a strong (read: expensive) magnetic motor. This is the part that controls the cone motion. Manufacturing costs rise rapidly as the motor strength BL factor increases.

IMO, the BL:MMS ratio (motor strength to total cone mass) is a significant factor in cone control. The very best of the larger driver ratios are nowhere close to those of the small drivers. A higher ratio affords tighter control over the cone and its associated air mass. Conversely, small drivers cannot move enough air to generate any real bottom. Note the Phil Jones solution, where he uses a number of mutually coupled small drivers to gain a large radiating surface without losing his high BL:MMS ratio. The mitigating factor here is expense.

The piston area of the typical 15" driver is approximately that of (2.5) 10" drivers. The cabinet volume requirements for a 1x15 are almost always much larger than that of the 2x10 pair. The 15" driver will begin beaming 600 Hz lower than the 10", so off axis response will be poor, early on. The 15" will run out of frequency range sooner than the 10". In a properly tuned cabinet, the 15" almost always has a better bottom end. The 10" almost always have better highs and punch.
    Stealth Fighter and SGT. BAKER like this.
  7. INTP

Nov 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    I have a pair of Eden D210-T cabinets. One of them is nice for small settings and/or practice, and the tone is good. But the bottom end is not particularly strong, especially with a low B string. The two cabinets together are much better for lows, and still cut through the mix.

Another thing that is nice about the 10's is that they are easier to hear on stage. The sound doesn't take as long to focus as a 15, so what you hear on stage is more like what you hear in the audience. A 15 generally sounds muddy on stage but more punchy several feet away.
  8. richbassboy

Feb 11, 2010
    Anything change with newer technology these days?? Also some of these amps that are 15 inch or 2 tens are different wattages.
  9. iualum

Apr 9, 2004
    2003 thread. Somehow I think the OP has probably made up his mind by now :laugh:.
  10. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    Yet another 11 year old Zombie raises it's ugly head!! :spit:
  11. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Guys, read his post! He is specifically asking about changes during that time, therefore the reference to the older thread. Man, someone asks a question that's been asked before, he's told to do a search. He does a search, he gets whacked for an older thread.
    Stealth Fighter likes this.
  12. BassmanPaul

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    Disagree, sorry. He could have started a new thread without making folks waste their time reading through a bunch of posts that no longer have any relevance.
  13. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Supporting Member

Feb 28, 2014
    San Diego, CA
    Another sticky waiting to happen.
  14. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Supporting Member

Feb 28, 2014
    San Diego, CA
    And the brand. I had an SWR Redhead 2x10 combo that sounded great a low volume but was worthless after that; My epifani 2x10s sound *great* at even the highest volume with any head I've head I've used. But a single epi 2x10 costs more than that redhead!
  15. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    People who start new threads about subjects that been discussed before are usually hit with the "use the search tool" slam.
  16. BassmanPaul

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    In reality his post had little to do with the subject matter of the Zombie. What would have be wrong with a title something like " What has changed in speaker technology over the last decade?"
  17. dannster

Aug 20, 2000
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2014
  18. mbelue

Dec 11, 2010
    This thread is full of lots of old superstition anyways.
    I vote for its removal so it doesn't tempt budding necromancers.
  19. The intent of the bump may have been all fine and dandy, but in practice the OP discussion always resumes.

I don't think much has changed. 2 vertical tens always disperse better than 1 fifteen. The cost and the ability to run a matching extension cab are the other prime considerations for combos.
  20. mbelue

Dec 11, 2010
    "If you like the sound of an SVT then choose 15'"
    "10s are punchier"
    It's almost completely all crap. These threads should stay dead.
    You want to go resurrect some good threads?
    Search for posts by billfitzmaurice. Good science smacking down hearsay repetition.