1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

1-15 or 2-10's

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jettone, Apr 7, 2009.

1. Jettone

Jettone

May 7, 2008
    I'm looking for a new amp and I dont know the differences between 1-15" or 2-10" (or any other combination). Can someone explain the differences to me?

2. AfroMan Skeeter

AfroMan Skeeter

Dec 12, 2007
    The first number is how many speakers there are, in this case, and the second is typically the size of the driver.

1-15: 1 15" speaker
    2-10: 2 10" speakers
    and the list goes on...
    3x10
    4x10
    6x10
    2x12
    4x12 etc etc

A lot of the time there will be a cabinet with multiple sized drivers. For example the 3620 made by Peavey that has 2: 18" speakers and 2: 10" speakers.. hence the 3620. This is not always the case, but for your question it's the number of drivers followed by the size of the driver(s).

3. Jettone

Jettone

May 7, 2008
    I got that part but is it simply a matter of preference? What should I be looking for??

4. AfroMan Skeeter

AfroMan Skeeter

Dec 12, 2007
    I would disregard godspeed's link to his other reply.

In some cases it is true that 10's will be faster than a 15... but everything depends on the driver used, how many are used, the box that it's in, etc. The right 10" speaker or speakers can reproduce a lower frequency than certain 15's.

If you want help with buying a new rig please tell us what you intend to play, your current bass and head (if you have one), price range, if weight is an issue. That sort of stuff.

5. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

+1 to skeeter. It's all a matter of preference.

Bigger speakers aren't better or worse. Good cabinet design makes all the difference.

6. It is preference, by and large.

Some people like many smaller (10) inch drivers for a more balanced, punchier tone. Some like larger drivers (15 - 18) for lots of low end. But 10's can be bassy, and 15's can be punchy. It depends on the cabinet.

For comparison, all these combos are generally considered around the same "size:"

2x8 - 1x12
    4x10 - 2x12 - 1x15
    8x10 - 4x12 - 2x15

7. Play some of each in a retail store and see what moves you. I find the 10's more punchy and the 15 a more vintage, full sound. Which I like best depends on my mood and the occasion.

8. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Song Surgeon slow downer. https://tinyurl.com/y5dcuqjg