1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

1 2 or 3 piece body

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by flea claypool, Oct 2, 2008.

1. flea claypool

flea claypool

Jun 27, 2004
    Ireland
    Can Anyone tell me the reason or point behind a body being made of 1,2,3 pieces of wood?? in preference to a jazz bass.. im guessing the less pieces the more tone?? it would be a jazz made of alder for reference sake

2. Oric

Oric

Feb 19, 2008
    Lexington, Kentucky
    maybe appearance purposes? I don't know, I don't pay attention to stuff like that.

3. flea claypool

flea claypool

Jun 27, 2004
    Ireland
    well it will be painted solid colour, i think its to do with tone but i want to confirm

4. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    You'll never hear the difference in a glued up body.

5. Rumblefisher

Rumblefisher Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2007
    Astoria, NY
    As far as the neck goes, more pieces = more stability. Don't know what it means for the body... Luthier's Corner might give you better results.

6. therex

therex

Jun 24, 2007
    lima
    i heard that 1 piece resonates better than more pieces, but with many pieces you can mix woods and get great tone

7. puff father

puff father Supporting Member

Jan 20, 2006
    Endicott, NY
    1 pc costs extra, looks cool..., dunno if there's any real difference besides that. Mine is almost one piece. :p

BN558180front.

It's a two piece. Not easy to see, is it? :D

8. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    Two or more pieces allows the builder to build an instrument that's of a more standard weight or lighter weight...because you're not limited to now rare large pieces of wood, they can focus on getting the weight and look you might want. I have mostly 2 or 3 piece instruments and they all sound great.

My guitar player has a one piece bodied strat and its a boat anchor...and he now wishes he'd gone with 2 or more pieces.