1/2" reel to reel to digital

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by johnnyz, Jan 23, 2009.

1. johnnyz

johnnyz

Oct 23, 2008
    New Haven, CT
    I have some old half inch reel to reel tapes I would like transferred to digital.

One was recorded on eight tracks. The other is a mixed down master.

My question... can I get the 8 track version digitized into a format easy to remix? what is that format? will I be given 8 audio files in that format?

An aside... if anyone knows of a trustworthy person who does this in central Connecticut, that'd be great.

cheers,
    johnny

2. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

All you need to digitize audio is line-outputs from the playback device connected to audio inputs on a computer with appropriate software. If you want 8 files, ask for 8. if you want one file with 8 tracks, ask for it.

Windows computers come with the software built in, or download Audacity for free and you can run it yourself.

The trick will probably be finding the playback device - or look for one on Ebay. If you can buy a functioning device cheaply, you can do it yourself, learn something in the process, then re-sell the playback unit.

If you have a mixed-down 1/4" master, anyone with a standard reel-to-reel tape deck can do it for you, or you can buy one cheap on Ebay. Simple! All you will need is a stereo-capable 1/4" reel-to-reel deck that works.

3. johnnyz

johnnyz

Oct 23, 2008
    New Haven, CT
    many thanks... many thanks

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 31, 2021