Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

1/2 size solid body

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 70%cocoa, Oct 3, 2005.

1. 70%cocoa

70%cocoa

Oct 3, 2005
    hey all..
    i'm kinda a newbie regarding basses, what does " 1/2 size solid body" mean?

i'm looking to buy a Jay Turser JTB-40.. just because it's the least expensive available at my local store.. what's your opinion on this particular bass? i play the guitar.. so i'm looking for something that would serve me as a beginner bass and somewhat last me as a intermediate bass for a few years...

thanks in advance

2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    If you go to www.jayturser.com and look at the basses on the first bass page, it will be pretty obvious what half size body means.

I'd be really afraid of neck dive if you take away body wood. Make sure you try it with a strap and see how it balances.

Personally, you'd be better off looking for a full sized bass.

I don't know how much the Turser is, but you can get a nice full size Precision Bass copy (which the Turser is) from Rondo music... Or get the Jazz copy it's been raved about here at TalkBass. www.rondomusic.net.

Depending on what your bass needs are, the right starter bass can last you a lifetime, especially if you get one that's easily upgradeable like the SX Jazz basses at Rondo...perfectly fine for now, upgrade the pickups, maybe the bridge and/or tuners as needs/budget allows and you'll be set.

3. 70%cocoa

70%cocoa

Oct 3, 2005
    well, i been to their main site b4.. but pardon me if i missed out a link or two because i found no info of what a 1/2 size solid body is :(

i play more of trip-hopish music but britrock ocassionaly.. would you recommend me a few models of basses that could serve me as a hopefully right starter bass can last me a lifetime?
    my budget should be around 100-200 bucks..

i had a feeling that i should be looking into a jazz oriented bass for the music but during my research, i found them to be too expensive for a starter.. (i've been looking into the big names though bc i don't really know about the copies)

4. byrdsfan

byrdsfan

Feb 9, 2004
    L.I.
    I love my Jay Turser Beatle bass copy. No idea on other bass models but a friend loves their guitars.
    I had intonation problems with an Essex bass but my teacher fixed it and sold it.

5. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    The Turser site??? Try here...http://www.jayturser.com/bass-guitars1.htm scroll down to find the JTB-40 and then go down one more to the JTB-400C...see the difference?

The very upgradable SX SJB-62 is $119.95 plus shipping...a lot of bass for the money.