1/2 Step Out of Tune

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by stefeb, Jun 13, 2002.

1. stefeb

Jun 9, 2002
    Bethlehem, PA
    Bought my first bass a few days ago. Was doing an appregio in E when I noticed the E string to be out of tune.

In the open position the E string is in tune. Tuned it with an electronic tuner, and it sounds fine playing octaves, etc.

However, if I play, E, G#, B, E, the G# turns out to be an A. I even checked it with the tuner. If I press the third fret, G, the tuner registers and G#, if I play an G#, the tuner registers an A, and so on.

I then tuned down the E string to Eb just to see how an E appergio would sound. The G# sounded as it should, but of course the open E string was out of tune.

Is this something I can fix myself, or should I bring it back to the store, and let them deal with it.

2. your intonation is off. You need to adjust the intonation screws. If you don't know how to intonate, there are places on line, and probably threads on TB, that can walk you through it.

A tech can do it, for a cost.
  3. Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    either that, or you have an extremely high nut at the E string... But that is very unlikely... very, very unlikely.
  4. stefeb

Jun 9, 2002
    Bethlehem, PA
    Thanks. Problem fixed. My error.

Remember first bass.

After reading some posts, I changed to flatwound strings. In my poor attempt at restringing I noticed that the E string was not seated in the nut(?) properly. It was slighly out of the grove.

I removed the string, restrung it and once it had been seated in the groove properly, my intonation is great.

Thanks for you help. Glad to have had the problem. It gave me an opportunity to learn something about the setup of a bass.