1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

1/2 Upright Base Wanted For New 12 yo Student

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Hqubed, Sep 26, 2009.

1. Hqubed

Hqubed Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio
    Our 12 year old son wishes to join the school orchestra and learn to play the double bass. I am seeking a solid used instrument which will make this a positive experience such that he will want to continue the education, vs. being difficult to play and/or poor sound quality. We are seeking an immediate purchase, would consider rental under proper circumstances. He has been measured for a ½ size bass, and 5/8 would be considered, a ¾ is simply too large for him at this time. An Engelhardt/Kay EM3/E3 would be perfect.

We am located in Ohio but I travel often for business, including the east & west coast, and we (my son and I) are willing to drive up to 8 – 10 hours one way so out of state pick up is possible. Our budget is flexible based upon the instrument, accessories (case, bow, stand, etc.) and conditions of the sale.

If you have a 1/2 upright/double base available please email details h3@insight.rr.com. Thank you for your consideration.

2. The EM 3 is a 1/4 size Double Bass with a 35 1/4 inch string scale length. It's overall height is 62 inches. To be heard in Orchestra it might be better to have at least a 1/2 size bass with a 37 to 39 inch string scale length. Could someone with a true 1/2 size or 5/8 bass comment on the dimensions of their instrument?

3. Hqubed

Hqubed Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio
    Thanks Chuck. My research and conversations with folks has suggested that the EM3 is sort of in between, and has been described as a "Large" 1/4 or "Small" 1/2. In any case, I guess what I was trying to say is I don't really want to purchase a bass smaller then this, and the 3/4 is too large for him right now. Thanks again!

4. My concern is: When he makes the transition to a 3/4 bass in high school [with somewhere around a 41 1/2 string scale], it could be too drastic from 35 1/4. You don't want to have to purchase 2 basses between now and high school.

5. Hqubed

Hqubed Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio
    Got it. Thank you I appreciate the insight.

6. Rvl

Rvl

Dec 23, 2003
    Aomori Japan
    Boys grow pretty fast at that age

There is a Romanian bass for sale for $1000 in the FS section
    make a step that he can stand on

Thanks

Robert VanLane