Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

1-3/4 in nut width on a 5 string, good/bad/different?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BillyB_from_LZ, Aug 23, 2003.

1. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I'm in the market for new 5 string. I currently have two, a defretted Squier P Bass Special 5 with a 2 in. nut and a MIM Deluxe Active J5 with a 1-7/8 in. nut.

I had myself convinced that I wanted a wide, flat neck for the new bass. However, I tried one with 35 in. scale, 16 in. radius, relatively thin D profile and a 1-3/4 in. nut. At first I thought it was way too narrow, but the more I played it, the better it began to feel.

I have big hands and fat fingers, not sausages, but big ones none the less.

Are there any disadvantages to a 1-3/4 in. wide nut that I haven't thought about? I haven't really compared string spacing differences over the pickups (I'm not much of a slapper yet, but have started working on it more) but my left hand seems like it would be happy enough dealing with a narrow nut.

Thanks for your insight!!!

2. mgood

mgood

Sep 29, 2001
    Levelland, Texas
    I like it. My Carvin BB75P is only 1.75" at the nut, but 3.00" at the 24th fret. I have a full 3/4" (19mm) string spacing at the bridge. So, it's fairly narrow at the top, but fairly wide at the bottom. I like room to maneuver with the fingers of my plucking hand, so I don't like the narrower fives. But my hands are not large. They're average, or slightly less. So, the narrower nut makes the stretches not quite as bad on that end.

[​IMG]
    The taper may look a little strange, but it's very comfortable to me.