1-3/4 in nut width on a 5 string, good/bad/different?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BillyB_from_LZ, Aug 23, 2003.

1. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    I'm in the market for new 5 string. I currently have two, a defretted Squier P Bass Special 5 with a 2 in. nut and a MIM Deluxe Active J5 with a 1-7/8 in. nut.

I had myself convinced that I wanted a wide, flat neck for the new bass. However, I tried one with 35 in. scale, 16 in. radius, relatively thin D profile and a 1-3/4 in. nut. At first I thought it was way too narrow, but the more I played it, the better it began to feel.

I have big hands and fat fingers, not sausages, but big ones none the less.

Are there any disadvantages to a 1-3/4 in. wide nut that I haven't thought about? I haven't really compared string spacing differences over the pickups (I'm not much of a slapper yet, but have started working on it more) but my left hand seems like it would be happy enough dealing with a narrow nut.

Thanks for your insight!!!
  2. mgood

Sep 29, 2001
    Levelland, Texas
    I like it. My Carvin BB75P is only 1.75" at the nut, but 3.00" at the 24th fret. I have a full 3/4" (19mm) string spacing at the bridge. So, it's fairly narrow at the top, but fairly wide at the bottom. I like room to maneuver with the fingers of my plucking hand, so I don't like the narrower fives. But my hands are not large. They're average, or slightly less. So, the narrower nut makes the stretches not quite as bad on that end.

The taper may look a little strange, but it's very comfortable to me.