1 3/4" P Bass- 1st to 4th string measurement?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Fender4Me, Jul 13, 2020.

1. Fender4Me

Fender4Me The Undertaker

On a 2012 and up AS Fender P Bass with a 1 3/4" wide nut, does anyone know the measurement from the center of the 1st to the center of the 4th string? Thanks

s-l500.png

2. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician, and Contractor to Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    Typically strings are set so that the outer edge of the string is 1/8" from the edge of the fretboard at the nut. So that would put the 1st to 4th string slot centres at 1.425" . So it would read like this from the bass side to treble side:

.125" edge to 4th string edge
    1.425" from 4th string centre to 1st string centre
    .125" from edge of G string to edge of nut

Total of the above is 1.675". The difference between that and the 1.75" of your nut is .075" - half the thickness of the E string and the G string, thus putting the edges of those two strings 1/8" from the edge of the nut.

3. Fender4Me

Fender4Me The Undertaker

I know thats the formula but I need to know what Fender is actually cutting the slots too on the newer one. Mine actually measures 1.375" string to string. Im ordering a new nut that is pre-slotted. Thats why I need someone that owns one to actually measure it for me. Thanks

4. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

Hmm. Sounds uncomfortable having extra wood down low there. I would go with the formula. I’ve got a MIM 1 3/4 neck and I would hate to cramp the strings together by 0.1” like you have there. Sounds like someone isn’t keeping spec close enough in the nut department at Fender.

Fender4Me likes this.
  5. bigtone23

bigtone23

Dec 10, 2014
    Denver, CO
    FWIW, I have a Peavey T45 neck with a 1.75" nut width. The E-G centers measurement is 1.34" and the string to string center spacing is .44". It has about 1/8" clearance on both edges of the board.

Fender4Me likes this.
  6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 24, 2021