1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

1/4" Baltic Birch¿

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by oleskool, Oct 4, 2013.

1. oleskool

oleskool

Sep 27, 2011
    Detroit, Mi.
    I am thinking of building this cabhttp://www.talkbass.com/forum/f15/new-cab-build-772245/, but I would like to use 1/4" ply. The same bracing, speaker, omitting the horn, with front ports. Will the ply work? Could it be tuned lower with better results? Thanks for any help!!!

2. dincz

dincz

Sep 25, 2010
    Czech Republic
    :eyebrow:

3. john m

john m Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2006
    Yes

Will it work well---- probably not.

By the time you brace it properly, you might as well use a
    proven design with 1/2" and bracing.

4. oleskool

oleskool

Sep 27, 2011
    Detroit, Mi.
    Thanks. Was trying to use what I have. Now to find a local source for the 1/2" ply.

5. You can do 1/4" BB, but there are caveats.

Glued butt joints adhere to the upper-most layer of veneer on the plywood.
    1/4" is mighty thin, and there ain't a whole lot of meat here.
    A concussive impact can shear the top veneer layer right off.

Consider using cleats on the butt joints.
    I use 3/8" BB routinely, and that size still requires a lot of careful attention to detail.

1/4" panels are going to buzz without sufficient bracing.
    I suggest no more than 3~4" of span between braces.

X-Y-Z bracing is a huge help.
    Opposing panels connected to each other with a cross-brace will cancel each other's vibration.

As noted above, 1/2" BB (0.447") offers a lot more meat in the panels and joints.
    You can safely span 6" between braces without fear of buzzing.

6. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    I'd at least run strips of 1/2"x1/2" around all the inside corners/seams for more glue area...basically like putting a stick frame in it from the inside.

And you'll need a crapton of bracing. You couldn't use the same bracing scheme you would for 1/2" material. Unless by "bass cab", you really mean "cajon".;)

7. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    You could glue the panels together to make 1/2"
    Clamping would be a problem but I've seen some clever vacuum clamps using a shop-vac and space bags.
    To lighten up the box, You could even drill hole on the inside panels where braces will not go, You could make like a torsion box for the sides. This would be extreme but if you got enough wood to experiment.

8. oleskool

oleskool

Sep 27, 2011
    Detroit, Mi.
    Thanks for the suggestions. I think it better for me to just use 1/2". I played around with this box in win isd, and tried to get it tuned to 40hz, but I think I should stick with the plan until I understand what I'm doing a little better.