1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

1/4" female to female Speaker Cable Adapter??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ashtray, Feb 14, 2016.

1. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    My comments have nothing to do with "shielded", but specifically "insulated" which us an entirely different thing.

bassmeknik and Rob22315 like this.
  2. He's not talking about shielding.
    The reason your coupler should be ISOLATED is because the negative side of a D class amp's output is not ground, it's the other side of the +/- signal to the speaker.
    If a coupler w/o isolation should come into contact with another metal component, half of your signal is automatically negated & bad things can happen.

bassmeknik and agedhorse like this.
  3. OK. I see what you are saying, wiki aside, which is just one persons opinion, even though it references some good sources.
    IMHO talking about ground loops, however they occur, is not the same as talking about wiring that comes into contact with something that it shouldn't. That is a short circuit.
    Zapped by a mic can also be due to the hot side of the A.C. circuit wired wrong and being on the chassis of an amp. Or a piece of equipment that has a resistance leak to an ungrounded chassis. (That's why you should NOT use the 3 prong to 2 prong ungrounding adapters on power cables.) You don't necessarily get the full potential of 115 VAC, because there is resistance in the return path (you) to ground. That could be a long term problem for the mic and a short term(inal) problem for the singer.
    The original ground loop part of this thread was that shielded cables cause them. But that is not always the case and when it is, it is not just the fault of the shielded cable in question. With a ground loop it takes two to tangle, or should I say tingle? A shielded cable involved in a ground loop is only a part of the equation.
    I think we can agree that when it comes to real ground loops, as opposed to those things that are mistaken for ground loops, that there is at least as much misinformation and misunderstanding, and downright fairy tails surrounding the subject as there are P basses in the world.
    I would suggest that everyone read the pertinent sections of the wiki you referenced but don't stop there. Also do some study of the source material referenced in the wiki. Wiki's are generally just someone's own interpretation (or worse, opinion) of what someone else said/wrote.

4. I did not know fairies have tails, but apparently there's a whole series about it:

[​IMG]

:D

Old Garage-Bander likes this.