1/4" jack with twice the contact and hold

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by junkman510, Feb 27, 2006.

1. junkman510

May 2, 2005
    Lebanon, PA
    This is to check the interest in an item i came up with. I created a 1/4" jack that has twice the contact and twice the physical hold on the plug than the regular switchcraft type 1/4" plug. This would be a great alternative to changing to speakon connectors for high power applications on amps and speakers. This is a drop in item with no modification needed
    How much would you pay for one of these?
    Do you see a need for such an item?
    Thanks for the help,
  2. jdlwareagle

Nov 13, 2005
    Mobile , AL
    EMG makes an input jack for acoustic guitars called The Ultrajack that works on the same principle . Cool idea for speaker inputs and cheaper , I'm sure , than speakon .
  3. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Speakon has other advantages over 1/4" besides contcat area and locking:

No exposed metal parts
    No way to short + to -
    Can do biamp or stereo with one connector

BTW Neutrik has offered a locking 1/4" jack for years

So I'd say I'd pay $0.00 for an improved 1/4" speaker jack.
  4. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Agreed. Speakon also eliminates the tempation to use instrument cables for speakers and vis-versa. As far as speakers go the 1/4" format may not be dead yet but the handwriting is on the wall.
  5. junkman510

May 2, 2005
    Lebanon, PA
    I came up with this so I wouldn't have to cut up or modify a chassis to install Speakon connectors on vintage amps or speakers. I like Speakon also and I only thought about power applications but I'm sure it would work well for line level and guitar signals. It will also increase the pressure on the ground sleave. I have had 1/4" plugs blown out of a high power speaker cabinet with regular jacks.
  6. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    The problem is that 1/4" plugs CREATE A SHORT when they are inserted and removed. You want to create more surface contact for higher voltages, but then you are SHORTING higher voltages when you insert or remove these plugs. The resulting effect could be very, very bad not only on equipment, but also on your health.

Speakons don't create a short because of their "insert and rotate" design. You'd just be undertaking tremendous liability if you market a shorting device for higher voltage applications.
  7. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Good point, Eric.

Brian, do you have a link to that Neutrik locking jack?
  8. Thor

Thanks Brian.

I had bought some from the 'company formerly known
    as Steelsound'. They were perennially out of them, though.

That confirms my suspicion that they were from
    Neutrik or the same product wherever it is made, China likely.
    They actually work quite well.

They were not very expensive if I recall, under a dollar each I think.
  9. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I don't think this is a bad idea for instrument jacks. Also, for older amps which need to retain unadulterated value, this would work as well. There is not a problem with creatin a more reliable 1/4" jack. But, as was said, Speakon is the way to go for high power applications. One problem, though, is the price point on lower power apmplifiers would be changed considerably with the addition if speakons.
  10. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

Dunno, the panel mount Neutrik ones are around 6 bucks at Parts Express though.
  11. Thor