1/4 lbs. Pickups for Fender Pbass

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Noah-Fecks, Sep 18, 2001.

1. Noah-Fecks

Sep 13, 2000
    Scotia, NY
    I was thinking about upgrading to some Passive Seymour Duncan Quarter-Pound pickups for my Single coil 1999 MIM Fender P-Bass. Would this be a good investment or just a waste of 75 bucks? The sound I'm looking for is that of an active pickup but can i get that same sound with a passive?:confused:
  2. When I up graded my pbass to quarter pounders, it was the best thing I could have ever done. The 1975 pbass was already light in weight and had a
    natural unpainted finish. (which may or may have an
    affect in results) It's the best sounding bass that
    I have ever heard with the amp combination. The
    bass that you have may not be as lucky, but you
    will probably have to take a chance to find out.
  3. jwymore

Jul 26, 2001
    Portland, OR
    The QP is high output and has a very scooped EQ, so it is probably as close as you will get to an active sound with a passive P-Bass pickup. It will definetly be a big improvement over the standard MIM pickup. You should be able to find them under $60.00 if you look around.

E-mail me if you need a source ...
  4. lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    I got mine for $50 at guitar center and

This pickup sounds awesome and it looks great, too. It has poles that are 2x bigger than regular ones, and the covers are a shiny black with a little BASSLINES logo on the bottom pickup. Once you install this pup, you will look at other P Basses and say, ha! what small looking pickups they all have!! :D
  5. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    I have used the Quarter Pound, Hot for P-Bass (SPB-2), American Standard, and now, EMG pickups in my bass. In my particular P-bass, the QP was clicky and somewhat harsh-sounding compared to the others. The Hot was pretty good, nice highs but not so clicky. The Am. Std. pickup is also very nice, plenty of output, not noisy, very balanced sound. So far, I like the EMG the best, though. Still sounds like a P, and lots more tonal variation than the others, even with passive controls.