1/4" mono plug to XLR

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by flyingcowofdoom, Nov 20, 2000.

1. flyingcowofdoom

Nov 20, 2000
    NJ, USA
    I am a beginning bassist (I started 2 months ago) and I am going to a party at my church (it's with the youth group). Anyway, they have a pretty nice sound system, so I want to be able to plug my bass into it. There are XLR jacks all over the place (you know, the kind with three pins) and I bought an adapter from radio shack that goes from the standard 1/4" mono plug (that I use to plug into my amp) to an XLR plug. Does anyone know if this will work? If not do you have another solution? Thanks a lot!
  2. Reid

Aug 25, 2000
    Oakville, Ontario
    should work like a charm
  3. It will work, but is not necessary. Mixing desks (boards) have an XLR and a 1/4" on each channel strip. The XLR input is a microphone input, and boosts the low level signal of a mic. The 1/4" is line level and is intended for higher level signals, such as keyboards or your guitar. If you run your guitar through the XLR, you will need to reduce the input gain knob to prevent distorting the signal. Just watch the clip light on your channel strip. If it flashes when you play, back it off a bit.