Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

1/4 Note = 8th Note?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by stephanie, Jul 21, 2003.

1. stephanie

stephanie

Nov 14, 2000
    Scranton, PA
    Ok, so I have this piece that's been bugging me:

The first section says "Andante. 1/4 note=72". And is in 3/4 time.

But the next section is the problem. It sounds right to me until I play it with a metronome: it says "Allegro. 1/4 note=8th note". And it is in 5/4 time. I understand 5/4 is to be played like "1 2 3 1 2 etc..." but my problem lies in changing everything into the 8th notes. Like the first measure of that section is a dotted 1/4 note, 8th note, 1/4 note; 1/4 note, 1/4 note. So I believe that would be changed to a dotted 8th note, 16th note, 8th note; 8th note, 8th note? The section is basically that same pattern except for a few measures that are 1/4 note, 2 8th notes, 1/4 note; 2 8th notes, 1/4 note.

I'm just having a problem playing all the sections together against the metronome and that 2nd section is where the problem is. Hope that makes sense LOL.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
    Stephanie

2. Ziggy

Ziggy

May 9, 2001
    Orange County, CA
    Stephanie,

The section, Adante: played at a moderate tempo - 72bpm; seems relatively slow??

The section you're having some minor problems with, Allegro: played fast or lively; might better be noted as "cut time", rather than "1/4 = 1/8"... counting the 'ands' of the beat/s may make it easier for you to read instead of trying to convert the notation from 1/4 to 1/8 notes?

Hope this helps... feel free to write back with any queries or misunderstandings,
    michael s.

3. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Hey Steph, I assume what it means is that the second section is to be played double time? So, a quarter note in the second section is the length of an 8th note in the first section? In other words, the 1/4 note tempo doubles?

4. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    All it means is that the tempo just doubled. You already knew it was getting faster, since it was going from andante to allegro; the notation just tells you how much. If the 1/4 note was 72 before, then the 1/8 is 72 now, which means that the new quarter note value is 144.

5. stephanie

stephanie

Nov 14, 2000
    Scranton, PA
    Hey guys,

Thanks for the help. I think I was making it out harder than it really is. I set my metronome at 144 (so 8th note=144 in the first section) and that works out for the second section.

But these things still confuse me. :( We spent a whole lesson the other week trying to figure out what a dotted 1/4 note would equal if a piece in 6/8 has every 1/8=132. And then in that same piece in 3/4 time, 1/4=dotted 1/4. This is one thing I know I need to work on. LOL :confused:

6. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    A dotted 1/4 is equal to three 1/8 notes, so dotted 1/4= 132 divided by 3 = 44.

What do you mean by 1/4=dotted 1/4?

7. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Thrash is right, the dotted 1/4 in the first example would be 44. Then that means the 1/4 in the next part would be 44 as well. Which is pretty slow and thus hard to count.

Are you sure that when it goes from 6/8 to 3/4, it says 1/4 = dotted 1/4 and not 1/4 = 1/4? I ask only because it's common to shift from 6/8 to 3/4 by just changing the emphasis. One of the confusing things about conventional time signature notation, as you probably know, is that certain meters aren't counted, ot at least not felt, quite the way you might think at first. For instance, 6/8 usually isn't felt as six beats, it's felt as two: ONE two three FOUR five six. 3/4, however, is usually felt as three beats: ONE and TWO and THREE and. You can take the same sequence of six 1/8 notes, played at the same speed, and shift from 6/8 to 3/4 simply by feeling the main beats on the 1, 3, and 5 rather than on the 1 and 4. In this case, however, you'd say 1/4 = 1/4 or dotted 1/4 = dotted 1/4. In other words, the 1/8 notes are going by at the same speed. If 1/4 = dotted 1/4 when you go from 6/8 to 3/4, than that means that the 1/8 notes are going by at different speeds.

8. stephanie

stephanie

Nov 14, 2000
    Scranton, PA
    :confused:

Yeah, it does say 1/4=dotted 1/4 note.

These pieces are from a Simandl book. I'm not sure which one, but it has a white cover. I wish I can show you the pieces, heh (well if anyone has a Simandl book these are on pages 22-25).

9. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    I believe Richard is correct - the 1/4=dotted 1/4 would be at 44 bpm.

I don't even know if my metronome even goes that slowly! :eek:

10. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    "30 Etudes for the String Bass"

These are arco etudes, evidenced by the bow markings. It's good reading though.