Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

1/4" vs. SpeakOn

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ThumperCI6, Feb 17, 2003.

1. What is the advantage of using a "Speakon" cable versus using just a single 1/4" when connecting your amp to cabinet?

2. Safety.

You'll get lots of other answers but I believe safety is the only practical advantage.

3. Yep safety, but they also provide a good connection. 1/4" jacks can get old and worn, the speakons will last longer and be a tighter fit. They also handle higher current/ voltage loads.

4. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Safety, better current handling...

...and an equally significant factor for me is that no solder is required for attachment.

5. Excellent point: field repairable with no soldering.

I use them for bi-amping purposes, because they carry multiple signals in a single cable. I use the four conductor (2-pair) in 12 gauge for carrying High and Low signals to my bi-amp cabs. The cab internal wiring uses the appropriate pair, and a second Speakon jack passes it along in Daisy chain fashion.

6. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    In Europe bigger poweramps are required to have speakons.

7. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    No one mentioned the best thing, though--the satisfying 'click' when you hook a Speakon connector up. :D

8. bassyamaha5

bassyamaha5

Sep 4, 2002
    Hanover, MA
    I prefer binding posts, ever try getting a broken speakon jack out of a cab or amp, not exactly easy, I know they shouldn't break if your careful, but accidents do happen, and things can break,
    just my 2 cents

9. Unfortunatly I broke a binding post off of an amp, now that sucked. Binding post are cool but some times impratical on cabs and like JMX said binding posts have been banned in Europe.