Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

1 4X10 loud enough?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Skorzen, Jul 3, 2002.

1. Skorzen

Skorzen

Mar 15, 2002
    Springfield MA
    I was wondering what people's opinions were of using just one 4X10? I remember seeing the bass player of a loud rock group using one Trace Elliot 4X10 and it seemed to be loud enough for him... The reason I ask is I am trying to decide whether, when I get a new rig to get a 4X10 wired for 4 ohms to use more of the amp's power or to get a 8 ohm cab and later get another cab, but the real question is do I need two cabs?

2. oddentity

oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly
    What kind of music do you play?

Where will you be using your rig (i.e what types of venues)?

What head are you using?

3. Skorzen

Skorzen

Mar 15, 2002
    Springfield MA
    At this point I do not yet have the head I will be using, but what I am looking at is the Ashdown MAG 400, 500 watts into 4 Ohms. I play what I would call medium rock, kinda like Lifehouse, some Walflowers, nothing too heavey but still reasonably loud. I am looking for something that is loud enough to play most venues with a PA. I am looking mainly for something to allow me to hear myself, getting it to every one else is the soundguy's job. For a frame of reference I'll say two fairly loud guitars and a drummer.

4. 44me

44me

Jun 17, 2002
    Bedford, NH USA
    Get the 4 ohm cabinet. 500W is a good amount of power for a 410, but short for 810. That extra cabinet is only going to get you another 3dB - hardly worth the extra effort of lugging it around. If you are not loud enough with one 410 and 500W, I would either get a second 4 ohm 410, replace the head with a separate preamp / power amp and drive each 4ohm 410 separately, or preferably, replace the guitar players.

5. oddentity

oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly
    Good call.

6. in my opinion, there is no situation that a 4x10 and 400 watts should not be able to cover. unless you're doing a stadium tour.

and even then, the PA should be enough.

7. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    PDX
    AFAIK, it doesn't work that way. The difference in power draw between a 4 ohm and an 8 ohm cabinet gives only a slight audible increase in headroom, maybe 2dB or so. Adding another cabinet allows you to move twice as much air, which means much more power can be pumped in before the drivers start to bottom out or lose efficiency, which often happens far below the power rating of the speakers. So the difference at performance levels when doubling speakers would be much more than 3dB.

8. Tritone

Tritone Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Santee, America
    IMO, you'll get much better results using 2 8 ohm cabs,because of the increased speaker coverage, and flexibility. A 4x10 and 2x10 stack has always been plenty loud for me @ 600 watts @ 4 ohms, and I've played a ton of outdoor festivals where volume was a necessity...plus the option of using just the 2x10 or the 4x10 depending on the gig is handy too.

9. Tritone

Tritone Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Santee, America
    A single 4 ohm 4x10 will pretty much leave you dead in the water for adding any other cabs,unless your amp goes down to 2 ohms,or you run stereo.

10. Freyja

Freyja

Apr 17, 2000
    I would agree with wiley...if it were me, I'd get an 8 ohm cabinet and leave myself some options for the future...you never know when you're gonna want to add another cabinet for tone reasons -- maybe a 15 or something -- with a 4 ohm cab, you're kinda screwed, unless you get a 2 ohm head or go the stereo route...

11. What he said!

Ronzo

12. superphat

superphat

Sep 30, 2001
    I have the Ashdown MAG 400. Great amp. Love it.
    I use it with an 8ohm SWR Goliath III.
    Loud enough.

13. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    What you want/need is the Eden D-410XLT or XST. I'd get the 8-ohm, just in case you want to add another one, or a 115 or something.

14. VS

VS

Jun 6, 2002
    Mountain City, Tennessee
    Discounted Gear: Peavey
    I second that opinion Munjibunga. Right on. :p -Luke

15. I agree with Munji.Edens put out the most sound per watt of any bass speakers I know.Plus they go really low even without a sub.I use a pair of 210XLTs and can't imagine ever having to be louder than what these 4 10" speakers put out.They kill.