1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

1.65" vs. 1.75" P-Bass. . . Is it a big deal?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lefty007, Apr 23, 2009.

1. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    I used to play Jazz basses most of the time. But in the last couple of months I've been playing P-Basses 90% of the time, and naturally, I'm getting used to the wider nut width (1.65").

Now I got my eye on a bass with a 1.75"-wide nut, and I'm wondering if the extra 0.10" make a big difference. . .

I don't have the chance to play both types of necks side to side to compare.

Any P-Bass players out there that have given up C necks in favor of B necks because of comfort issues?

I'm also thinking that neck girth might be a bigger factor, like the baseball bat neck profile of '50s and some '70s (and early '80s) P-Basses. . .

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I'm far from a veteran in this particular issue, but here's what I know: For comfort, the girth and the profile are at least as important as nut width, if not more so. Also it's not just the nut width but the string spacing at issue. So for example if you like the overall girth and profile of a J bass, there's nothing you can do to widen the spacing; but if you like the girth and profile of a wider neck, there is room to change the nut and narrow the spacing if desired.

Personally I like a C neck with five strings for narrow spacing, but I'm weird. :p

3. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    Agreed. I'm a P bass guy, and I'm comfortable with a 1.75" neck as long as it's shallow. With a 1.625" neck (which is what a Fender P is now), a little more depth is fine.

4. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    FWIW, I currently gig/rehearse with a 1 3/4" nut and practice with a 1 5/8". I have no problems going between the two sizes.

For the imperially challenged 1 3/4" = 1.75" and 1 5/8" = 1.625".

5. It's big deal for me; it's pretty much the main reason I don't use my 73 P much(1 5/8"). My Warwick, at just under 1 1/2", is much more comfy, and so gets much more actual play. Ideally, I'd have a couple of J-width 4s- one active/modern & one passive/vintage/traditional Fender-esque. But if going from J to B-neck P hasn't bothered you, maybe you're more flexible than me. A good thing, I think. :)

6. LCW

LCW Banned

Mar 2, 2009
    OREGON!
    I just dont dig a jazz neck any P neck fits my bill of course i have only played 6 years so i dont have a long time to build up preference but i still dont like jazz necks haha

7. Not for me. Played my '75 A-necked P for years. I had no problems when I bought my '03 '51RI .... or my Classic '50s P.

Though, when I pick up my '75 P .... the neck sure feels nice!

8. cripula

cripula

Dec 20, 2006
    Canada
    I like both - no problems going between A, B, or C necks for me. A couple of minutes of playing and any one of them feels like home.
    A nice early 60s C neck is my all time favourite though.

9. Yep, same here.

10. I have big mits. I prefer the full fat P necks. Jazz necks make my hand cramp after a while.

11. bassforce

bassforce Guest

Feb 7, 2007
    I love 1,75 in my US Vintage 62.

The most comfortable neck for steady, simple playing. Wide, but not thick. Just great!
    I'd say jazz necks are faster, but this oldschool P-bass C neck is like comfy armchair to me :D

12. ashtray9

ashtray9

Aug 1, 2002
    Tempe Arizona
    Ha, I dig it.

13. lownote54

lownote54

Mar 7, 2009
    best...early-mid 70's P with factory A, like my bone stock (REAL roadworn) '76. featherweight too.

14. I can easily tell the difference between a 1 1/2" neck to one that's 1 9/16". The same with the thickness, and it really matters to me.

15. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    I can adapt to any neck but my favorites all seem to have a similar ratio of nut width to profile shape, shoulder and roundover. If a neck has a wide nut that would mean a bulkier profile than on one with a narrow nut.

16. maxbass

maxbass

May 22, 2002
    Milano Italy
    The deal is that, since I started playing with my 1,75" P57, I find that tinner necks are less confortable.

17. lowendblues

lowendblues Supporting Member

Oct 8, 2004
    Ohio
    I've never really noticed it much on Fenders. But when I got my Rickenbacker 4004 (1.75 at the nut), it felt huge compared to the 4003.

18. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    I have both sizes and have not problems at all. I think Fender has the best playing most comfortable necks of any bass i have ever played.

19. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Yeah, I certainly felt the difference with the 4004, but now it's become my favorite, and the 4003 feels real skinny.

20. lowendblues

lowendblues Supporting Member

Oct 8, 2004
    Ohio
    Yeah, it took awhile, I just could'nt wrap my brain around a "wide neck Rickenbacker", but once you get used to it, the 4004 is a great bass.