Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

1.6KHZ SITS NICE

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassampegman, Aug 22, 2004.

1. I have been trying to get my sound to be more punchy without losing the low bottom end and not have too much hiss from the treble end.On both my Ampeg rig and my Ashdown rig i have found that by turning uo the 1.6khz to full really makes the bass more punchy and clear with good bottom end. i can then turn down a bit the high treble end and you get a smooth punchy yet low sound. I play finger style and for years ive tried to get a better punchy sound that stands out in the mix better.Have you guys try this frequency boosted its amazing how much it can improve your sound .

2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    yeah, i've done that
    it's always good to experiment with a lot of frequencies - even the non intuitive ones - that frequency is probably giving you a lot of "cut"
    of course, it all depends on the bass, the cabinets, the amp, the settings, the way you play, the room, and your favorite ice cream flavor

3. Hmmmm... thanks for sharing your frequency with us :) .

I'll have to try that next time we play live, it's easy to generalize frequencies during soundcheck and adjust accordingly, but having a discrete number to experiment with like 1.6k, is valuable information.

:cool:

I've tried to share frequencies on this forum and pro audio forums as well, regarding soundchecks / PA and monitor eq for all instruments / stage vocal monitor adjustment.

FWIW: for stage floor wedges, JBL monitors and Shure microphones like to feedback at 1 & 2 kHz. Pull those and it will solve most feedback. Oh - and if your stage vocal monitiors sound "Boxy", pull 200 / 400 / 600 hz. on the monitor eq. Sorry if this paragraph is a bit of a hijack, but hey - it may help someone.

Cool thread, anyone else have magical frequencies to share?

4. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    27 Khz - will summon a minor class a demon :p

5. :eek:

:D

6. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    I like playing around with the 400-600Hz range and the 1-2kHz range. For me those are the two magic ranges for adding punch and poke.

Gotta try that 27kHz demon summoning thing sometime.

7. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I can't get by with out my 250Hz. Live I love it. It really helps me cut through the rest of the band and hear myself. It sucks for recording though.

But I'm going to +1 Ivanmike and say that it's all relative to the equipment you use and how it all interacts. If I boosted 1.6 on my current rig, it would rip my head off. There's already enough going on there.

8. My favorite frequency is currently 800hz. I believe a boost in this range gives me more of a guitar like mid. This is usefull in the 3 piece band I am currently in.

I would think differently if more people were in the mix.

9. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Ahh... 1.6 kHz, the ol' SWR trick.

Try a bit of a boost at 6 kHz for slappin'.