1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

#1 cause for string wear outage?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by MistaMarko, Feb 18, 2008.

1. MistaMarko

MistaMarko Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2006
    USA
    Is it the dirt/oil/grease, the metal grinding against the fret, or the stretching out from the tuning pegs to the bridge?..

I have this habit where I wash my hands thoroughly before playing 100% of the time, and they seem to stay clean.

2. onlyclave

onlyclave

Oct 28, 2005
    Seattle
    Yes. All of the above.

3. MistaMarko

MistaMarko Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2006
    USA
    Well, is hand washing a good precaution to take for string longevity...or am I wasting my time?

4. jonnychicago

jonnychicago

Mar 20, 2006
    Chicago
    i always wash my hands...not sure if it helps, but it sort of gives me a "fresh start" and i know it can't hurt to have at least some of the oil buildup off my fingers before touching the strings...

5. Marcury

Marcury High and Low

Aug 19, 2007
    Mid Hudson Valley, NY
    I like to wash my strings before gigs. It gives me that nice fresh sound and then I don't have to wash up to eat between sets.

6. lowendgenerator

lowendgenerator

Mar 26, 2006
    CHI/NWI
    I kill mine with beersweat.

7. GROSE :mad:

:D:D:D

8. allexcosta

allexcosta

Apr 7, 2004
    Jaco always washed his hands before playing, but he used something else than water.

245380370_4eba03a1d4.

9. Yummy.

10. I pull it out of the case, tune it, play it, put it back in the case. I use strings till they break, and I've never had one break. But liquids and food don't go near my instrument. Ever.

This bass has strings installed no later than 1972, and they may have been installed just before I got it in 1967:

P-bass.

11. 98dvl

98dvl

Jan 31, 2002
    USA
    Q: Number one cause for string wear?

A: Playing your bass...

Don't play, and the string won't wear as much.

12. amos

amos

Oct 23, 2003
    SE Portland Oregon
    That is a beautiful p-bass...man oh man.

13. Lon86

Lon86

Jan 21, 2008
    Venice, CA
    BBBEEEAAAUUUTTTIIIFFFUUULLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

14. I used to wipe the strings down with a rag after each session of playing. Started when I played guitar, but now I kinda like the old 'dead' thump from the bass.