1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

1 cookie sheet + boredom = pickguard!

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by zagnut, Mar 29, 2009.

1. zagnut

zagnut

Jan 4, 2009
    Back in Detroit
    After deciding I didn't like the way the aluminum P-bass pickguard shield made for an actual pickguard (too thin!), I got out the Dremel tool and went hunting in the kitchen. Thankfully, the gf gave me permission to chop up the following.

P3280032.

P3290037.

P3290042.

I went about this because I've seen the diamond plate pickguards available, but I couldn't see spending $60+ dollars on one. Not to mention, I've never found a pickguard that fits my Washburn correctly.

Now all I have to do is finish my knobs.

2. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize!

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Like the pickguard, the Iron Cross is nice! :bassist:

The blue bridge has to go though :(

3. Mad Russian

Mad Russian

Aug 25, 2008
    Raleigh, NC
    I like that iron flying cross!

4. good idea!
    you've got to update me on how it goes, if it's a + or -

5. mgash

mgash

Mar 8, 2006
    folsom ca
    one word awsome

6. zagnut

zagnut

Jan 4, 2009
    Back in Detroit
    No way! Besides, then I'd have to get rid of my matching tuners. I went with the blue because, well, nobody has a blue bridge or tuners. It was way cheaper to have my current bridge and tuners powder coated than it would be to buy new ones.

I was really worried about how the iron cross would come out. I knew if I screwed it up, there was no way the gf would let me hack up another cookie sheet.

7. bronzehydra

bronzehydra

Oct 14, 2008
    Mukilteo, WA
    That looks pretty sick!

You could try to powder coat the pickguard...?

8. zagnut

zagnut

Jan 4, 2009
    Back in Detroit
    I actually considered that. But I really like the raw brushed aluminum look. The only color I would have considered would have been blue to match the bridge and tuners. I came to the conclusion that it would have just been too much color for my taste.

For those wanting to know how I got the brushed look, it was really simple. I just used some 220 grit sandpaper and sanded in a circular motion. I have some 400 I tried on a small patch before I started cutting it up. It would have looked really smooth. I decided I liked the look the 220 gave it, it's more of an industrial look.

9. I like it! Maybe add a thin piece of powder-coated blue behind the cross cutout?

10. thirtypoint87

thirtypoint87

Feb 9, 2004
    Manager/Repairman: Music-Go-Round
    nice bit o' DIY there.... well done!

11. Very quarky…I like the “natural ply” look…the blue bridge…the pickguard is a brilliant touch …

It’s so bad, it’s GREAT! :)

12. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I grow organic carrots and they are not for sale
    kinda Lemmy looking pickguard ....

13. Punisher Bass

Punisher Bass

Dec 24, 2008
    St Louis MO
  14. zagnut

zagnut

Jan 4, 2009
    Back in Detroit
    Hmmm, now that's something to think about. I'll have to ponder this and see how I could do something like that.

Wow, that's shiny. I thought about polishing it. But Aluminum is so soft, I'd be worried about it scratching too easily.
    Yeah, the edges and lines aren't exactly perfect or straight, but about as close as one can get doing it freehand. I didn't have another pickguard with pup cutouts that lined up the way they should. So it was "cut a little at a time, see if it fits, cut a little more, see if it fits".
    I kinda like the small imperfections. It's kind of like a knot in the wood somewhere in the body. Gives it a personal touch and lets one know it wasn't mass produced.:D

15. Punisher Bass

Punisher Bass

Dec 24, 2008
    St Louis MO
    You can't see it in the pictures, but at that point it had a fair bit of scratches in it. I've since sanded it again with 600 to remove them and make everything level. It's taking a while to get the shine back, but I'll get there and hopefully it will look like a mirror when it's done.

I noticed you've got quarter pounders too. How do they sound? I've yet to wire mine up since I'm still rebuilding my bass.

16. zagnut

zagnut

Jan 4, 2009
    Back in Detroit
    I haven't had much time to play. I just finished rebuilding mine and have been too busy to enjoy it's new sound. But I've got Fender 9050ML flats and I love what I've heard out of it so far. I used to always use rounds and had EMG Select pup's. World of difference and never going back to rounds. I think you'll be quite pleased.