+1 for the GHS Pressure Wound

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by cmhgreg, Mar 2, 2006.

1. cmhgreg

Oct 26, 2004
    Columbus, OH
    I'm a newbie, more or less (two years plus), and have been using flatwounds exclusively since I took up bass. I found I could control dynamics better with the flats, and cut down on fret noises and finger noises as I applied my beginner techniques. Well, happily, I'm getting better and so I decided to branch out a bit and get a away from the flatwounds on one of my basses. (Can't take the TI's off of my No. 1). I decided to take baby steps and go with something in between. On a recommendation from a guy who runs a great little guitar shop here in town, I went with GHS Pressurewounds. I've had them on for about two months now and all I can say is: wow!

I realize these aren't roundwounds, but they aren't flatwounds either. They're somewhere in between I suppose, but they seem closer to roundwounds (at least to me) then flatwounds. They have forced me to improve my technique and open my mind to all kinds of things. They sound and feel great. And they are very versatile. I can get plenty of zing from them (at least for me) with the right EQ, or I can make them sound dark and thuddy, close to various flatwounds I have tried. On the flexibility-side, they are tighter than the TI's, but not as tight as Chromes or La Bella DTB's I have tried. After two months of moderate use, they still sound great.

Anyway, great string. Especially for the money.

2. I too had the same dilema and went to flats on my Jazz, then to Elixer Nanowebs. Found my technic after a year of playing allows me to use Rounds now. Loving the sound of GHS boomers!
  3. 3NotesAbar

Jul 3, 2005
    These things last forever! I'm indebted to my set of Pressurewounds for one thing - making me realise how much noise i've been generating sliding my left hand across strings! :eyebrow: