1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

1 fret makes bass rattle + good tech in San Francisco?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Pheeleep, Apr 9, 2009.

1. Pheeleep

Pheeleep

Apr 9, 2009
    Hello,

This is my first post in this forum :) Glad to be here. I've been reading posts for a few weeks now and decided to finally ask my question :)

I recently bought my first electric bass guitar ( Squier by Fender Jazz Bass. Affinity series. Made in China ). I am having loads of fun with it. Keep in mind, I'm an absolute beginner. I have been making electronic music for many years, played the violin for over 10 years. Also played the guitar for about 1 year, but the bass guitar is completely new to me. I wish I had bought one ages ago! Those are some deep sounds...

I am having a blast trying to play "Air" and "Zero7" bass lines. Those 2 bands are what made we want to start playing bass. I spend most of the time messing around and coming up with some cool short, repetitive bass lines. That is until I start taking classes :)

Anyway, one thing is bothering me. The 8th fret (C) of the E string makes the bass rattle when I pluck it more than slightly. I don't have this issue with any of the other frets on any other string.

The rattling sound gets recorded ( I plug the bass direct into a Digital interface that has a guitar preamp built in and record in FL Studio).

If I play the bass acoustically (unplugged), I also hear the rattling. It's quite pronounced...

I tried putting a piece of paper below the E string on the nut. I read about someone doing that and it helping, but that didn't work for me.

The rattling does seem to come from the general vicinity of the E string tuning head. While the rattling is going on, if I touch the back of the tuning head (where 4 screws are holding it in place ), the rattling stops. Tightening the screws hasn't helped. I tried messing with the height of the saddle for the E string, moving it up and down a bit.. still rattles..

I don't really want to mess around with the neck, so I'm thinking I need to get my bass tweaked by a professional.

If it's just one fret causing a problem, do I need to worry more than if the rattles were coming from all over the place, on many frets? Would adjusting "the neck bend" potentially solve this problem?

Anyone know of a good tech in San Francisco or in the bay area that I could pay to set up my bass for me and show me how it's done?

Thanks everyone!

Philippe

2. Sijjvra

Sijjvra

Mar 31, 2009
    The fret might be a bit high or something. Usually if it's just one fret making the buzz, this is the issue. I can't help you on the SanFran area guitar tech though.

It wouldn't hurt to have the tech you do find do a set up for you - adjust the neck and frets, action, etc. If you're like me and not quite sure the ins-and-outs of doing a set up (I'm trying to learn but I'm not going to be doing anything radical on my basses any time soon) your best bet is to have a professional do it for you and maybe ask them how to do the simple stuff like adjust the truss rod, action, etc - there's also forums here for repairs and so forth that give some good tips.

3. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    It's been a while since I've been in his shop but Gary Brawer does excellent work. I've heard nothing but good about San Francisco Guitar Works.

Best guy I've found in the East Bay is Stephen White in Berkeley 510-548-8370. He has many years of experience, and is honest & dependable.

4. Pheeleep

Pheeleep

Apr 9, 2009
    Thanks guys! Your info helps a lot. I will call your reference in Berkeley :) Very helpful! Oh, and when I'm ready to take lessons, maybe we can hook up you and I :) May I ask how much you charge?

5. JLS

JLS

Sep 12, 2008
    Emeryville, Ca
    I setup & repair guitars & basses
    A Squire Affinity--I can GUARANTEE that it needs a setup. Buy it from GC?