1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

1 good Jazz or 1 jazz and money to spare

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by chiplexic, Mar 26, 2006.

1. chiplexic

chiplexic

Apr 21, 2004
    Massachusetts
    I've thrown around buying a new Fender 62 Reissue Jazz(stacked knobs) which will use up my nest egg for bass buying fund i've managed to build up. The other option is getting the 60's Jazz Classic Series bass and have money left over for ...say...a used "P"...or Lindy Fralins for the cheaper jazz...or... How would you manage the fund? Definately time for a jazz.

2. scuba steve

scuba steve

Dec 28, 2005
    Hillsboro, Tx
    the 60's classic is a nice instrament for the price. wait till a few guys that own one give you some feedback.

3. ClassicJazz

ClassicJazz Bottom Feeders Unite!! Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Delray Beach, Florida
    The Classic 60's Jazz is a great bass. It has that vintage vibe and is a solid bass. I love mine. Plus it is a great value. I also love the fact you can take the pickguard off and there are no ugly routes under it. Click on the link in my signature to see mine......

Another route to consider is getting a CIJ (Japan) Jazz. I got a '62 reissue Jazz fretless which cost me about $70 more then the Classic (including shipping) and was half the price of the US Jaco model.

Honestly I could not see myself spending that kinda cash on for a MIA '62 reissue. They are great instruments, but why get one when you can two for about the same price. Get yourself a Classic and maybe a fretless to boot!

4. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Classic Jazz called it...I see no reason to pay for the stacked knob. The control layout is the biggest diff, and you can buy those preassembled from basspartsresource if ya just gotta have that control layout...and still save $600.

5. ArwinH

ArwinH run rabbit run

Dec 1, 2005
    Southern California
    I own the classic jazz. I love it. I couldn't imagine a better jazz for the price. I nails the marcus tone, and a jaco tone for me. I also really like the neck and the fretsize. I've had a few quirks with it though. i recently got it and now the bridge pickup is giving me no output, the g string bridge saddle is unstable, and a set screw on a volume knob has come loose. Still, these are minor setbacks, I love the tone and feel of the bass. For a while I couldn't thik of a reason to own a fender, then I played this jazz bass. Though I'm sure a lot of other j style basses in higher price classes could smoke it, I'm happy to have this as my first j/fender style bass.

6. zazz

zazz

Feb 27, 2004
    Cebu
    personally i would prefer one killer bass than two mediocre ...sink all your cash into the bass of your dreams....a jazz is a cool direction to take.