1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

1 high-mass bridge, 2 basses... what to do?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by bunnykeeper, Jun 9, 2011.

1. bunnykeeper

bunnykeeper

May 28, 2011
    Japan
    I picked up this high-mass Warwick bridge at a great price on eBay a couple weeks ago (hasn't arrived yet, though). Assuming the seller doesn't back out, I've got a decision to make.

I'm working on two basses right now. One is a new SX jazz, fretted, and will have EMGs installed. The other will be an SX defretted jazz neck on an Aria Pro II PJ body, which will also have EMGs when I'm finished. The APII body is noticeably heavier than the SX jazz.

My question: which bass stands to benefit more from the bridge upgrade?

I've also got a Warwick adjustable brass nut on the way, and I'll need to make a decision on that one, too.

One last thought is that I could switch the necks, and put the fretted neck on the PJ body and the fretless on the J.

Your thoughts?

2. I say neither, because I'm of the opinion that a bridge makes very little difference to the tone or playability - unless, of course, it's poorly made or designed.

However, that said, I always change my stock bridges for aesthetics.

If you want, I have a Fender 4-string High Mass Vintage bridge lying around (came off a 2011 American Deluxe P) that you can have for shipping if you want - solve your problem by getting another bridge!

3. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    'd with two good reliable standard Fender-style bridges. Put 'em on the two basses, and play them for a good long while to get used to what they sound like. If any of the purported benefits of a high-mass bridge would seem to be useful to YOU on either of the basses AFTER you've found out what they really sound like, then put the heavy one on that bass. But you might find that you don't need it so you can flip it.

John

4. To answer the question, it will have a more noticeable effect on the lighter bass, however subtle. It will very slightly brighten the tone. Very slightly.

5. bunnykeeper

bunnykeeper

May 28, 2011
    Japan
    Thanks! I'll take you up on that! :hyper:

USA small packet works for me (I'm having a box of gear forwarded from Chicago). Do you figure it's less than 500g or 500g-1kg, once packed?

I'll likely put it on the SX jazz, since it's apparently already drilled for a Fender bridge.

I'm working on two project basses at the moment, and I'm using it as a good opportunity to try things I've never had a chance to.