1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

1 high quality bass vs. multiple lesser quality basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by NKUSigEp, Feb 28, 2008.

1. NKUSigEp

NKUSigEp

Jun 6, 2006
    Bright, IN
    Would you rather have one expensive, high quality bass or many different basses that are cheap and/or just lesser quality (not necessarily junk though).

2. superfunk47

superfunk47

Sep 9, 2007
    itd depend on what i had to choose from in each grouping of basses. like, how expensive/high quality and how cheap/lower quality?

if youre talking about like 10 SXs to, say, one ritter, id take the ritter. but, thats just me ;)

3. fullrangebass

fullrangebass

May 7, 2005
    Europe
    If the high quality bass catered 90% of my needs whereas the multiple lesser basses catered 95% (combined), I'd stick with the high quality one. If the High quality catered 50%, when the combined ones catered 70% or more, I'd go for the multiple ones

4. superfunk47

superfunk47

Sep 9, 2007
    although, i guess i would be tempted to take the SXs, and then mod them all to the point where id enjoy them as much/more than the ritter.

5. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    I prefer one nice bass that can develop "my" sound, rather that having multiple basses for the sake of having a bunch of different sounds.

6. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    I'd rather have the one high quality bass that was a double neck!

7. ibanezcollector

ibanezcollector Yoyo's Hurt When You Crank It Into Your Face

Feb 18, 2007
    Cleveland Ohio
    versatility is the key to life..

8. ric426

ric426 In my defense, I was left unsupervised. Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    I've tried it both ways and found that I once I'd played high quality basses, the lower priced ones never really satisfied me anymore. I'll take one good bass with no real shortcomings over 5 or 10 that each have something I wish I could change.

9. Multiple high quality basses. Sorry, life ain't always fair.

10. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    +1

11. herndonbassist

herndonbassist Low Down Thumper Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2005
    Herndon, VA - NoVa
    funny... this is a topic that i struggle with personally. every time i sell off the cheaper ones, and buy a nice one (~1K range) i wind up getting GAS for something to toss around... i've got 3 nice basses right now ($750-$1000) that i want to sell off to buy a boutique range, but just can't do it. FWIW in addition to those 3 i have 4 others... so i really could justify pairing down. i just can't seem to tho ;-)

12. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

That's easy. I'd take multiple Fenders over one Sadowsky (to cite just one example) any day. The only reason I ponied up for a Sadowsky was that I already had a few other basses.

13. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    No one bass does it all so you gotta have a few.

14. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

+1

And I'm not going to put all my eggs in one basket.

15. Mazinger

Mazinger Supporting Member

Nov 9, 2002
    USA
    Every bassist should have at least 1 bass they can "toss around".

:cool:

16. I'd rather have one high quality bass. Realistically, I gig with one bass. I bring one backup that never comes out of the case. My other basses usually stay in the case with no action, even at home.

If studio work ramped up I would probably use more variety.

17. neuromancer

neuromancer

Apr 28, 2005
    CT, USA
    I prefer to gig with a backup at all times. In the studio, I'm never 100% sure how a bass (even a high-quality one) is going to sound based on where I'm recording and who the engineer is. Given these situations, I'll take 2-3 lesser quality basses over 1 higher.

18. I've been thinking about this lately, after rotating a bunch of basses in and out of my collection over the past year and a half. Just sold one three weeks ago and received its replacement yesterday. Ultimately, I wonder whether I'd be happier if I just sold them all, took the money and bought one amazing bass. I've always had mad G.A.S. for a USA Lakland Joe Osborn or a Sadowsky. Wouldn't it be better to simplify and have that "one and only"?
    I've decided not to go this route. My current stable of four basses cost me a total of $2,550, and they give me three distinctly different playing experiences. Given the choice for the same amount of money, I'd rather have some variety.

19. DonovanBankhead

DonovanBankhead Banned Commercial User

Aug 25, 2001
    Springfield, MO
    Owner - FretSpot.com; Vice President - Springfield Music
    Agreed. I've gone back and forth, and but I know for me I've been spoiled on high-end basses, and there is no going back...

20. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    I guess it totaly depends on the situation you're in.

If you never leave "Madison Square Bedroom" I'd say one really nice bass would be a good option.

If you are out gigging all the time... two good playing, workhorse type basses are a necessity IMO (for me anyway). I acomplish that task with two very well set up, and lightly modded SX P basses most of the time, although I have a lot more expensive stuff to choose from if I feel like it.

If I was doing primarily Studio work, a good sounding, mid priced Fender P and J would cover most situations.

I'm sure some will disagree, but that's how it would work for me.