1 Into 2 Box -> Pedal Board -> 2 Into 1 Box

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Higgie, Sep 20, 2005.

1. Higgie

May 31, 2005
    London, England
    If I were to have a 1 input to 2 output box, and have one output go through my pedal board, and one clean, then both into a 2 inputs->1 Output box, would that work like a 2 Amp system? Retaining the clean bass sound and but adding effected signal to it? Or is there any cheaper way to have both a Clean signal and effected signal than dual amps? Apart from a Loooper w/ blend pot?

2. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    The way I see it, at the output end, I'll still have a mixed signal so I will ask myself, is it worth the bother keeping signals separate as far as possible into the signal chain if I'm going to combine them anyway?

But if you have a big gig and this is important to you (then you can just get two amps coz you have the means right?) I say go for it.
  3. Higgie

May 31, 2005
    London, England
    Well I just thought having two seperate sounds being mixed intogether would retain more low end than a completely effected signal, and so wanted to experiment. I'll probably make both of these boxes and test it out. Probably will take a while as I'm skint, and have a pedal board to be thinking about :p
  4. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    When I had this problem I used post processing EQ.

Now I just run two amps :smug:

5. You can't boost what doesn't exist.

Sadly, many guitar pedals that we use on bass suck the low end out of our tone completely. No amount of EQing is gonna restore that.

So, that's why I like to use this little baby. Solves all of your problems, Higgie, and if you're half electronics savvy you can build it yourself.
  6. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Oh it's still there. It's just attenuated by a large degree. That's why I just EQ it back.
  7. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Dude, the clips on that Big Muff thing is great!!! That makes a huge difference. I think I am going to build myself one of those.
  8. el_Kabong

Jul 11, 2005
    A Boss LS2 in mix mode will do what you're asking.
  9. Sako

Nov 4, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    This has been a ongoing problem for me. Niftydog, a while back you sent me a schematic for this: BassThru. I'm finally going to get a friend help me with the build. Does this schematic have everything I need to order parts?
  10. C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada

I use this pedal for this exact purpose.

I will have two separate signal with different effects in each signal. This enables you to turn on and off any of the effect, while keeping a clean signal also.
  11. Hey, I just finished a new PCB layout for the PARALOOPER. Posted a redrawn schematic too, showing the minor mods I did to the BassThru scheme. Anyone interested in DIY (instead of just buying an LS-2) should be able to pull a parts list out of the schematic, and throw in the enclosure, stompswitch, LED, etc...

Been a lot of posts on this topic lately. :cool:

~ Charlie
  12. Sako, I haven't built one based on the layout I sent you, so I cannot confirm anything about it, sorry!

If you visit moosapotamus' site it'll have all you need to know.

The thing I especially like about the "extended" version of the paralooper is the ability to control the low pass cut off point. This is something the LS2 doesn't have.
  13. SubMonkey

May 3, 2004
    Denver, CO
    Dunno if it's any cheaper for _you_ but I do this with a SansAmp BDDI (which I had already) at the input side of the board... the parallel output (dry) side goes to the dirty stuff (wah,dist etc.) the wet side goes to a compressor and both are recombined with a Whirlwind A/B/Y box...

IMHO mixing a very bassy almost "dub" tone with a thinner dirty distortion tone makes some very nice gravy...

14. Higgie

May 31, 2005
    London, England
    Thanks all you guys.

Niftydog I completely forgot about the paralooper, I've seen it before. I just may have to make one.

Now all I need is the cash :p

I already have a Wobo 2 looper, so Would it plug into the loop of the paralooper? Would my signal chain be like: Bass -> Paralooper -> Wobo -> FX Loop A -> Wobo -> FX Loop B -> Wobo -> Paralooper -> Amp? And then I'd just leave the paralooper on all the time so I can switch in effects with the Wobo?

Thanks again everyone.
  15. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Yup. LS-2.

16. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Problem with the LS-2 is that it, itself, is not true-bypass and just having it in your signa chain sucks a bit of tone. I tried using one, and I had to pull it out of my pedalboard for that reason.

I just use a loooper now, and it solves everything for me.
  17. That sounds like it would work. The output from the paralooper would be an adjustable mix of your clean signal (or whatever you go into the paralooper with) and whatever you switch in with the wobo. If you want your clean signal only, then you would step on the paralooper to true-bypass the wobo and everything.

~ Charlie
  18. Higgie

May 31, 2005
    London, England
    That's exactly what I was looking for. Thank you very much. True Bypass is so much more of a big deal than I thought it was before. I had a chain of about 9 pedals with little £1 patch leads. I bought a Wobo and some Venom and Pro Control Patch leads, and now my tone is back. But this bass paralooper sounds pretty sexy :p
  19. Higgie

May 31, 2005
    London, England
    So can I get a parts list anywhere? I'd very much like to build one of these...Also a Wiring diagram? This'll be my first DIY project, but I have done soldering and everything before, so I'm pretty familiar with everything apart from the wiring :)