1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

"1" ohm speaker load??? What tha.......

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Buzz Fluhart, Sep 22, 2008.

1. Buzz Fluhart

Buzz Fluhart

Jan 10, 2008
    Is there such an animal as a "1" ohm speaker or cabinet? I am the original owner of a 1974 Peavey F-800B Super Festival bass head, and while cleaning out my storage room, I found the original Owner's Manual (I thought was Long gone). In reviewing it, I noticed on the Technical Specifications page, the usable Load Impedances (OHMS), listing 8, 4, 2, and ONE !! ONE ohm?? That's a new one on me. Yet, even though it lists this OHM and the Output Wattage produced when used, the "Speaker Jacks" section warns, in CAPITAL letters, "NEVER OPERATE THE AMPLIFIER WITH LOADS LESS THAN TWO OHMS". This kinda peaked my curiousity: Why list an unusable OHM on the Spec. Sheet? Bragging rights, perhaps? I know...I know...why don't I just email Peavey and ask them? Because I value all you guy's views, opinions, and experiences, and am just curious if anyone out there has ever heard of, used, dreamed of, dated, etc, etc, etc...a "1" ohm speaker and/or cabinet with that rating? BTW...the Owner's Manual is available for download at Peavey.com. It's no big deal really....just wondering why they listed an OHM and its Output info., yet, you are NEVER supposed to use an OHM that low. Go figure, huh. Any thoughts, comments, life reflections, please unload. Thanks for the ear(s). And always remember: "Wind is simply an ocean with no water."

2. MyUsernameHere

MyUsernameHere ?????????????

Nov 3, 2007
    Lexington KY
    Its not hard to get down to 1 ohm, all you have to do is run two 2 ohm cabinets in series.

However, why they would list two separate specifications like that...I have no idea.

3. Hi.

Parallel actually, but anyway, 1 & 2 Ohm loads are quite common in the monster subs in the home theatre and car audio field.

Also dual voice coils are a norm and give You the choice of 1 or 4 Ohm (or 2 or 8 ohm).

Why Peavey would advertise something like that in a MI amp and then tell that it's not so, well I'd bet that the 1 Ohm is a typo. Or just bragging.

I for one aren't confortable in using less than 8 Ohm loads, but that's just me.

Regards
    Sam

4. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Could be bragging rights, like the amount @ 2 ohms didn't sound big enough to the marketing guys, so they said "theoretically how much would it put out at one ohm?" And the engineer scowled and gave them a bigger number.

Or, the technical writer(s) asked two different engineers for the data, and one of the engineers gave him a funny datum to see if it would slip through, as a joke. Or maybe he was just high.

5. hey

hey

Jul 8, 2006
    Wisconsin
    Actually, when I was a bass noob, I thought when the impedance level was higher, it meant more power. Good thing I waited until I learned about when I got my first stack. :ninja:

6. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    I'm thinking they might of changed their minds/amp labeling after the manuals were already printed.

7. MyUsernameHere

MyUsernameHere ?????????????

Nov 3, 2007
    Lexington KY
    Of course.:bag:

Don't know what I was thinking when I wrote that.:confused: