1 Pickup J-bass - What's a guy to do?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by 4StringLoser, May 29, 2012.

1. Hi all, first post in a while.

I''ve recently decided that I have no need of the bridge pickup of my jazz. It adds nothing pleasant to the tone, IMHO.

So to this end, I plan on removing it, filling the route with wood filler and then refinishing the bass in a solid surf green, so for all intents and puproses, the route was never there. :smug:

Now, on to stage 2 of my plan. :hyper:

I was hoping to replace the neck pup with something a little hotter, either;
    http://www.seymourduncan.com/comparetones/view/81

OR

http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/bass/pickups-for-jaz/4string/stkj2_hot_for_j/

Soooooooo......Any advice on these two p'ups?

2. Matthijs

Matthijs Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2006
    Amsterdam
    Just one single coil will hum like crazy. But as you are already using just the one pickup you should already have experienced that. Maybe there's a P or a humbucker that will come close to the tone you want?

3. The Hot Stack he listed is a humbucker

4. lownoteBb

lownoteBb

Jan 9, 2012
    there are hundreds of other j-bass pickups you might find favorable-or sell the j and buy a p-bass

5. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    Not necessarily.
    I borrowed a friend's 51 style P, gigged with iut, recorded with it and had no noise issues .

6. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    I think you'd want a solid wood insert rather than filler, or it'll eventually sink and show the outline through the new finish.

As for pickups, if you don't mind the hum the sky's the limit. If you do, look at the dimarzio ultrajazz or area J, both of which smoke the Duncan stacks, even the "hot" ones, in terms of output and "realness".

(it does sound like you're really looking for a P bass, though.)

7. I vote for this idea

8. guroove

guroove

Oct 13, 2009
    Buffalo, NY
    me too.

9. rocmonster

rocmonster

Oct 31, 2011
    Hold on now, I wouldn't dump a J-bass for a Precision because I only use one pickup...:bag:

There is more to a J than pickups. I prefer my J-bass because of the narrow neck and offset waist. I agree with the OP's pickup swapout/treble pickup route fill-in/refin. And please post pics when you are done.:hyper:

10. fraublugher

fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    Trade it for a Mark Hoppus

11. fraublugher

fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    -1 to the disfigure

12. pattyløve

pattyløve

Apr 7, 2009
    Sydney, Australia
    Endorsing Artist: Ashdown Engineering, D'addario
    Put a quarter pounder P pickup in there. I was the same, didnt really use the bridge pickup much but then i found the neck by itself wasnt beefy enough. Had a warmoth pearl pickguard made and then routed out the P pickup shape underneath it. Works great.

rt10ed.png

13. Is it really worth going to all that trouble just to eliminate the bridge pickup? If it were me I would put a P pickup in the neck position and leave the J pickup in the bridge. Roll off the volume on the bridge pickup as much as you like, but still have it there in case you ever want it.

14. K-Frog

K-Frog

Feb 6, 2002
    Camden, AR, USA
    Drop in a set of Area Js, play only the front pickup and be done with it.

Unless you don't like the look of a typical 2 pickup jazz, or just want to be an odd duck, save it's original configuration and potential easy resale-ability (that's a word right) by keeping 2 pickups in place.

15. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    I'd leave both pickups in it, AND add a series/parallel switch.

When I had a JB I used either the neck alone or both in series 95+% of the time.

Both pickups in series is a good sound, ime.

16. K-Frog

K-Frog

Feb 6, 2002
    Camden, AR, USA
    Ah yes.... What Glenn said ^^^^^^

I remember doing series/parallel on a jazz and it was a nice thick tone.

That would be the cheapest initial mod to ditch the hum and boost the output, over the single neck J pickup

17. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

The easy route - leave both pickups in place and just crack the Vol on the bridge pickup enough to kill the hum. Replace neck pickup if desired.

Or get a Hoppus.

green-mark-hoppus-bass-20091209_5521.jpg

18. Yes, try wiring it in series. I think you'll like the added "P-ness" and volume. Don't even bother with the switch since you only use the neck pickup anyway. This is a free mod if you have a soldering iron.

19. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Inactive Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    You need a better bridge pickup.

Hotter might not be better, as hotter pickup at the neck can sound like mud. But you will need a hum canceling pickup, and a lot of them also sound fuller without being over wound.

20. JavierFarias

JavierFarias

Feb 9, 2011
    Chile
    I'm not sure...
    I think it's cool and different, but maybe you will regret the time and money wasted doing that, while you could get a Hoppus bass or something like that.

As for the pickups, I was thinking that maybe a Delano JMVC 4 Split-coil could do the work.
    http://www.bestbassgear.com/delano-4-string-pickups.htm

Regards,
    Javier.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 14, 2021