1 Pickup J-bass - What's a guy to do?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by 4StringLoser, May 29, 2012.

1. My understanding from someone who does this for a living is that, regardless of whether you fill a route with filler or sold wood, the outline of route will always reappear in some way. I went to have the exact thing done and was told that it would be a waste of money as I would eventually not be happy with it.

Unless, of course, you are planning on putting some kind of wood top or pickguard on it....

Why go to all that trouble? Maybe put some kind of split coil in the neck and disconnect the back pickup altogether. IMHO, Jazz basses look screwy without that bridge pickup...That being said, Nordstrand makes a great split-coil Jazz pickup...

2. BassGyver

BassGyver

Jun 29, 2004
    Belgioum
    Di Marzio Model J with series/parallel switch?

3. Hi Guys, Thanks for all the input, had no idea the finish would sink with the wood filler, so that's good to know.

To everyone whos worried about me damaging the resale value of this bass, fret no-more. When I say J-Bass, I actually mean a knockoff J-bass copy. It was my first experience of a bass, and I kind of bought it because at the time, I had no idea what my sound was... But to show you the scale of the damage I've caused to this in my efforts to sand it by hand for a refinish without tools :bag:
    [​IMG]

Probably no resale value in this thing to begin with, but now I've fiddled with wiring and sanded the back?
    Probably not worth squat :meh:

Oh and ,to everyone saying buy a Hoppus?
    If I had the cash, I would have one in my hands as I type this.

I'm dirt poor right now, and I'm trying to spend less than £75 to make this bass a bit closer to my ideal.

Thanks for yall help, and try not to crucify me too badly.:bag:
    Josh

4. I have a Quarter Pounder Jazz bridge that I really like. I didn't notice any hum when I soloed it, and it didn't sound like it was missing something like most soloed bridge jazz pups. I can't speak for the neck version, but I imagine they would be similar in some respects. It was a bit less jazzy and a bit more growly than most. Sort of like a MM pup. I think a neck pup would sound very similar to an old school P pickup.

I would suggest what others already have. Route for a P-bass pickup and adapt a pickgaurd so you can switch them out and experiment with different kinds of pickups. If you absolutely insist on a jazz pickup, I think the Quarter Pounder will most likely treat you well.

I recently replaced mine with a set of old Bartolinis and I love the barky oldschool P tone I get when soloing the neck, it gives a bit of hum though.

5. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    then roll the bridge pickup off, for exactly zero pounds.

(after 20 years of playing stingrays, my bass player discovered when he recently got his first jazz that he loved the neck by itself, too. a great, grindy rock sound, especially with a pick.

noise be damned, a couple of beers and a cymbal crash or two and you don't notice it anymore :hyper:)

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 23, 2021