Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

1 piece bass

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Bassstud1, Oct 19, 2004.

1. Bassstud1

Bassstud1 Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2001
    LaPorte Indiana USA
    Does anyone make a bass out of 1 piece of wood? The neck and body one solid piece. Not glued together. Just wondering, because I have access to a machining center that is big enough to do this and I program it. If so do you think I would have to rough machine the wood consective times rotating it so as not to cause a bow? I'm not sure if this is where this question belongs or not.

2. Wow...an 8 quarter piece of stock that's over 45 inches long, at least 12" wide, with straight, true grain thru the piece?

Tall order. would you like it flat or quarter sawn? ;)

Won't say it's not possible (it's entirely possible) but it'll cost you.

As far as machining, what do you mean, rotate it to prevent a bow?

In any case, on a CNC, I would rout in multi passes , 3/8" at a time. You should shape the neck yourself.

With a 1 piece body, you may get "cupping" on the body anyway.

3. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    25,000 pounds and he can't even get a decent set of photos taken?

You're going to waste a ton of material (probably at least 50% of the slab) and the programming is going to be a serious task. I don't know enough about the machines to tell you whether or not you'll have to move things around. Probably a better idea to start by machining bolt-on bodies if you want to mix in the CNC.

4. Yup.

Unless you want a really bitchin piece of wood, with a bass silouette cut out of it, like in a Bugs Bunny cartoon when a character runs thru a wall.

v:O)

5. Scott French

Scott French Dude Supporting Member

May 12, 2004
    Grass Valley, CA
    There's a company (or a dude) making guitars that are 1-piece body and neck with an attached fingeboard. I saw these on a dealer site and was wondering why they wanted $6,000US for a plain-jane strat copy... didn't realize it was one solid piece until later.

6. Scott French

Scott French Dude Supporting Member

May 12, 2004
    Grass Valley, CA
    Oh yeah, from what I remember they were quartersawn mahogany with an ebony board.

7. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    I work near a place that makes moulding. They have 8 1/4 Mahogany in 14" widths at least 12' long. I think they want a couple hundred for them. It can be done but BIG $$$....t

8. Aren't jackson rr model guitars made out of 1 peice of mahogany? If so maybe they make top end basses that way too.

9. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    Well as everyone else has said, yes it can be done and yes it has been done. My question is why would you want to? From reading all the posts here by the fine and talented luthiers we have it seems to me that even finding wood good enough to do a one piece neck is hard enough (getting strait grain through the whole piece and all, plus the quarter vs. flat sawn debate) and that would make getting a piece big enough for a full body DAMN rare. Add to that the amount of wasted material and it seems like it's just an act in self indulgence (or art, there's little difference in my book, and neither are a bad thing IMO). I can just see no valid reason or benefit from doing it.

10. Bassstud1

Bassstud1 Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2001
    LaPorte Indiana USA
    :bassist: Thank you all very much for your input. I'm not going to go against a luthiers opinion of where to start. I will start with making two piece basses. Bodies first them necks as suggested. I have a Cad Cam program (Surf Cam) That I would use to do the programming. As far as the piece of wood goes, I was planning on using a piece of maple log for my first one piece project. I'm doing this because I stopped playing New Years Eve after 30 + wonderful yrs of playing out. My wife has MS so I need to spend more time at home. I need to find something to occupy some of the time all my practicing and playing out took up. Hopefully some day I will be able to make something different that I will be recognized for in the bass community. But if not I don't want to lie dying on my death bed thinking I should have thought outside the box. Thank you all once again for all the wonderful feedback. I wish you all the best, keep holding down the bottom end, no matter how bad it seems at times you will be missing a part of you after you retire.

11. adolganov

adolganov

Jan 15, 2004
    You know what? Ashbory is the the one-peace-o-wood bass not even close to 25000 quid :bag:

:D

12. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts

Yea, but in the end it's got less wood in it than a Strat G**tar neck. Them things is TINY!!!

13. teej

teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    Ashborys are one-piece? They make the travel basses, right? Are THOSE one-piece?

You know, with a one-piece, it was so totally SUCK if the neck broke or something.

14. adolganov

adolganov

Jan 15, 2004
    [​IMG]

15. Actually, a friend of mine just got his "Gil Oliveira" custom bass done, and Gil (the luthier) brought over the huge block of wood that he wanted to carve it out of, one piece, likes...

Anyway, thats just not what my friend wanted though, he asked him to cut that piece "right there" and make a bolt-on...
    Guess he just doesnt like the neckthru sound... :meh:

Gil didnt like the idea though, lol.
    So, its standard practice for him... and I dont think its THAT expensive... considering its a custom. :D