Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

1 Rig for both Bass and Synth/Keyboard Bass?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Mario Lewis, Jan 27, 2003.

1. Mario Lewis

Mario Lewis

Jul 6, 2001
    Clinton, MD
    I was reading the past issue of Bass Player that talked about synth bass and keyboard bass players, and it really struck a chord with me.

So I've been looking around, and me thinks I might dip my feet in the water (instead of taking the full plunge) and get the Oxygen 8 25 key keyboard and a little Alesis NanoBass sound module. If I like it, and I'm afraid that I really WILL LIKE IT, next comes the dilema of amplifying it.

I mentioned to the store owner that I would plan on using my Epifani 112's and QSC PLX 3002 to get sound, but he suggested that I not do that. Do you guys agree that's a bad idea? I like the prospect of essentially using a mixer for both my bass and the keyboard. (one rig, dual purpose) Is this possible? Well, I know it's possible, but is it recommended? Or am I looking at another separate set up?

My rationale is that I'm pretty much going to be replicating bass sounds, no different than if I used a really wierd or advance FX unit or pedal. So why wouldn't it be good for bass synths from a keyboard??

2. Nails

Nails

Jun 4, 2000
    Austin, Tejas
    If it was me, I would send the synth unit direct to the P.A. and maybe send the synth to a keyboard amp for help monitoring it live. Personally, I like to keep my sounds seperate, even if I kept the synth in my rack it would be rare that I play it through my amp (it would have to be a last resort, no room in the P.A. mixer, no extra amps around, situation.) IMO, keeping sounds seperate makes them easier to mix, the sounds can be EQ differently, and volume level would be easier to control. Of course, YMMV.

The only thing that I can think of that would be damaging to your amp is a patch that has too much bass in it, and in an effort to reproduce that you blow something in your rig up. Giving it two signals at once my lower the amount of gain you can dial in, so take that into account as well.

I'd suggest getting a keyboard amp for it, but I would not say it was a necessity.

3. NOLABASS

NOLABASS

Oct 16, 2002
    New Orleans
    I would be curious as to what the reasons would be.
    I'm not a salesman or keyboard player. I could see where extremely low bass signals would tax your 1x12. On the other hand I see keyboard signals go thru 12" monitors(PA) and 12" cabs all the time. Maybe trying to produce both signals at the same time would screw up the cone excursion, I just don't know. But mainly I'd ask the salesman why?

4. Mario Lewis

Mario Lewis

Jul 6, 2001
    Clinton, MD
    I didn't mean that I would play then simultaneously. Either I'd play the Smith 6 electric bass, or I'd play the keyboard.

I think I found the solution. The Boss LS-2 Line switcher. It will allow for switching of two channels to a single power amp-->speaker chain with the flick of the footswitch and it has a level control for each. I'd have maybe a Rolls rack mount mixer (or something like that) and run the signal from that (fed by two or three modules just like they were going to a keyboard amp) and I'd have the output from my Smith 6 electric bass--> Alembic F1X both going to the LS-2 and I'd switch back and forth as needed.

So, it'd be:

Alesis Nanobass & another tone module daisy chained and controlled by an Oxygen 8 (or some other comparable midi controller - Their outputs fed into a rack mixer and the output from the mixer fed into Channel A on the LS2 Line Switcher:

And the Smith 6 feeding an Alembic F1x and it's output feeding channel B of the line switcher

The output levels of each set accordingly on both the mixer and the Alembic PLUS the LS2 to prevent clipping.

The output of the LS2 would feed the "In" on my power amp and the speakers would be connected to the power amp accordingly.

!I haven't made up my mind, and I'm not throwing stones, but I'd like to know why this won't work? OR why is it not recommended?

I don't play a fretless, and syth fretless sounds as well as the syth'ed funk bass sounds of the 70's and 80's would augment my aresenal quite well.

I've considered the drawback of the Epi 112's, but it has been mentioned that some PA monitors are 12's, and the frequency response of the Epi's is lower than say the JBL EON's and comparable in other aspects. I know they are BASS speakers, and I'm only going to use them for BASS sounds.

Thanks for the feedback. Keep it comin'

5. BTW, I highly recommend the Oxygen 8. It's a sweet little midi controller.