1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

1 Signature per page of each thread

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box' started by Nino Valenti, Dec 5, 2006.

1. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I remember there was an option on BassNutz that only allowed one Signature in a thread per page.

So if I replied multiple times to a thread, my sig would only appear in my 1st reply/post on each page of the thread.

2. Nino Valenti

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Example:

3. That would be very nice. It would save me from going through 3 pages to really read one. Especially when it's replies like: "Yes, I am willing to do trades," that only take up one line.

4. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Connecticut
    m
    Well, Paul has upgraded to version 3.6.4. and I don't think they have that as an option. (I've looked but couldn't find it)

But here's the one for vB 3.5.4. so it might still work?

------------------------------------------------

Signature only on first post VB3.5

This will cause each user's signature to be shown only on their first post on each page.

In the postbit or postbit_legacy template,

Find:

Code:
    <if condition="$post['signature']">
    And replace it with this one:

Code:
    <if condition="$post['signature'] AND !$vboptions['shownsigs'][$post[userid]] AND $vboptions['shownsigs'][$post[userid]] = true">
    As I've said before, I'm not sure if it will work on TB's current version, but it's worth a shot if Paul wants to take the plunge.

I believe it to save clutter and bandwidth. But, as always, I could be wrong........just ask my wife. ;)

5. Nino Valenti

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    I think Paul has me on his ignore list. ;)

6. paul

paul Staff Member Founder Administrator

Jul 20, 2000
    Texas
    :) I'll look into this, there really isn't an issue of text signatures taking up bandwidth, but if multiple sigs are annoying people, I can see about finding a 3.6.x hack.

7. Cool. You could put up a poll to see if we wanted it. I don't know why you really WOULD want to see the same sig over and over in the same thread.

8. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    In DB, we usually don't have long sigs, so it's no problem.

9. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    Bah- would that mean I'd actually have to write my name at the end of every post?

10. The BurgerMeister

The BurgerMeister musician.

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA
    i think it's a great idea.

11. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Yeah, I'm in support of that.

12. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Connecticut
    m
    The same hack for the one sig should work on 3.6.x as well as all the other versions of vB from what I understand.

13. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

This feature would make me consider toggling user sigs back on.

Yes, I've toggled sigs off. Apologies to those of you (the majority?) who don't have annoying sigs...
    :bag:

14. sixway

sixway Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2006
    Kailua, Hawaii
    I agree. I get tired of having to wade past the same signatures time and again, especially the ones that reference tributes to God, political beliefs, so-called philosophical gems, or what people think are funny one-liners, but just come off as bad toilet humor. And then there are the ones that are just plain weird or creepy...

Listing bass gear - great; links to your website, youtube, myspace - fine; that's where all of the above should be posted, because that's where I make the decision to go to find out more about you. Otherwise I feel like I'm being continually punched in the arm because you're not sure if I'm paying attention. After all, this is a bass forum. If I go to a concert to see you play, I don't want to hear your political or religious beliefs, I want to hear you play your music.

Maybe I shoud post this rant in My signature - the length alone would probably help enact this idea!

Ian

15. if this happens, then sig pics should be allowed with size or content restrictions, imo. i also resurrected the thread specifically on sig pics...as i seem to be doing to this one, too.

16. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize!

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    You *can* turn signatures off, I do.

17. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Yeah, but some sigs are cool or useful. I don't want to throw the baby out with the recycling.

18. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize!

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    It is a bit extreme, and I am probably missing some cool sigs, but in general I find it works. If somebody mentions "check the link in my sig" or some such thing, I just check their profile.

19. WarriorJoe7

WarriorJoe7 Banned

Mar 12, 2004
    Syracuse, NY
    sigs will still be on once per page right? or only once per thread? if only once per thread it should be the last post that the person posted.