1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

1-Space Amps, Ampeg’s SVT-3&6PRO Pre-Amp Out, Shielded Signal Cable.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Groover, Apr 29, 2009.

1. Groover

Groover

Jun 28, 2005
    Ohio, USA
    I hope I can get all these questions answered in one post...

1st... is a Shielded Signal Cable same as an Intrument Cable? (Mentioned in the instructiuns in Ampeg's SVT-6Pro's Pre-Amp Out options)

2nd... Do 1-space-rack amps exists? If so, what would be a decent/simple one to match up with an SVT-3PRO or SVT-6PRO Pre-Amp out? I'm trying to at least double my power for live shows by using an auxilary amp to either head + cab. That said, I'd like to find something with say 800-1000W at 4 Ohms

3rd... I own and SVT-3Pro and a 6Pro. Both have a Pre-Amp out options. The SVT-3Pro has (3 x 12AX7) tubes on Preamp, wheras the 6Pro has (2 x 12AX7). Anyone know what I might expect the difference to be in tone when using one over the other to power an auxiliary amp?

Thanks for the help!

2. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    What kind of gigs are you playing???? The SVT6 is 1100 watts. You need to double that???

The only one-space power amps I've ever heard of were the digital ones. I think Peavey made (makes?) a 1000W one as well as a couple of other companies who put out the same amp with a different name on it.

3. Groover

Groover

Jun 28, 2005
    Ohio, USA
    I'm actually considering linking my two pros toghether when needed. I use the 6pro for gigging, and the 3pro at practice location.

The 6pro is great for most application in my case, but we just booked a few outdoor shows and like a little more output available.

4. jastacey

jastacey Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2009
    Houston,Tx
    A instrument cable has 2 conductors, a core wire, wrapped/braided with bare wire, to act as a shield/ground, and has a one ring, 1/4" plug ............... a shielded signal cable will have 2 core wires, wrapped/braided with bare wire, to act as a noise shield, ...this is going to have the 2 ring, "1/4 plug ...this is going to have the quietest signal path ...keep the cable lengths as short as possible ............. the only one space rack amps I've seen have been low power, amplfiers ( 75-150 watts RMS ) ... I haven't seen the higher powered, one-space amps ...so I really can't comment as to if they exist . ....

5. Groover

Groover

Jun 28, 2005
    Ohio, USA
    Good deal, and thanks for all the great replies. I think I'll stick with the Ampeg 3 + 6 or Viceversa for the extra power (makes sense since I already own them, and also familiar with Ampeg tone).

Cool on the cable information - good explanation, and visual clues with the rings explanation.

Now if someone could help me out on the pre-amp question (3 tubes vs 2), I think I'd have all my questions answered, and I can nicely move on in life!

Thanks again!

6. rbonner

rbonner

Sep 25, 2008
    The problem is AMPEG preamps are low voltage output with an extra driver stage located in the FINAL. If you plug an AMPEG pre into a NON-AMPEG final you will get very little output.

You'd be better off jumping the 6 and the three together and make music, or change completely to PA power and pick up an AMPEG pre and have it modified for higher output to maintain the AMPEG sound.

I've done this with my baby amp but don't have an AMPEG pre on it this is a modding pre. Two 1200 W output amps at 4 ohms, drives a pair of 810's nicely and is portable.

BOB

Attached Files: