Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

1 Spare Rack Unit.....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ZenBass, Jan 14, 2004.

1. does anyone else feel their rack in incomplete if there is a free space in their rack..or is that just me....:D ...its gotta be filled..

I have a fafner head and have 1u spare...what shall i put in... hmmzz?

I use a Boss TU-2 Pedal Tuner and it works fine.. and i cantjustify spending $300 on a rack tuner that really does the same thing....!!

Me thinking,...

Compressor
    Power Conditioner..
    Flashing Lights?...

what do you reckon...

Coffeeee Machine?..

Needs to filled hehe...

2. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Perhaps a parametric Eq to use in boomy rooms or to get different sounds. The fafner only got one mid band Eq.

3. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

You could always put a IU rack cover on that space to keep out dust and to make it seem complete. I think an amp, pre-amp, compressor and AC line/light is enough. You don't want the thing to be too heavy to tote around.

4. For a couple of euro's I bought a (used) Samson Powerbrite module. It filters, provides spike protection, fuses and distributes the power to other units. But most of all the flurencent blacklight bulb in it makes my fafner looks very nice. Also quite handy in dark.
    Hm still one space left.....
    [​IMG]

5. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Mmmmmmmm. Those Fafners are so nice. I gots to have one. :bawl:

6. zoran

zoran

May 10, 2002
    croatia
    I know most manufacturers suggest leaving one space free for venting if head or poweramp is rack mounted. But, if you cannot sleep without filling your rack to the max, put multi-effect, compressor inside or use that space for rack cables, and other... hmm, stuff :D

7. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Here ya go:

Funk Logic

A must for the empty-rack-space-challenged!

;)

8. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Actually, Gard, if you throw the RNP/RNC combo in a rack along with a nice amp (say, PLX 3004), you'd have one heck of a rig in 3 rack spaces! If you went Stewart or Peavey (digital), you could have it down to 2 rack spaces!

Personally, I'd either leave it set up as you have it, or install a blank or vent panel. I like to have decent airflow around my gear. I suppse if you really wanted to put something in there, a compressor (like the RNC Gard linked to, or perhaps a PreSonus ACP-22+) or a BBE unit could be nice. You seem to already have a power conditioner. I would stick with your TU-2 for tuning.

A few months back, someone had a post regarding a radical LED signal meter that looked very useless and very cool. That could be something for ya! I think it was in the Effects forum.

Later, Tom.

9. Zen, get one of those rack filler screens. It's just a perforated metal cover so to speak. It looks great and fills up the void. Probably cost you less than $10.00.

or

Rack condtioner with night lights to see and about six receptacles on the back to plug everything in and have one cord going to the wall for power. I had that in my Mesa 400+ rig before I sold it. In my Demeter/2402 rig I have a Trip-Lite unit mounted in the back of the case because it's a 4 space SKB. A little crowded but it's better than a 6-space to me, plus I have the one cord to the wall advantage. The Trip-Lite has receptacles on the front and back so I plug the components in the inner receptacles and the the outer ones are available for what ever. A little over kill with receptacles but very handy.

10. hehe thanks to all the posters so0o far...

The Samson Power Conditioner is something i look at ages ago... might be worth it..

the Fafner has a rear thing...as well as side and top.. and my rack case has ventilation holes on at the side as well as a thru-flow cooling system soo it is safe to add an extra 1u unit...

This is my Rig with my Marcus Miller..

[​IMG]

eventually gonna get a proper EBS rack unit so0o it fits properly ontop...

:bassist:

11. :) Ohhhh in dark it looks soooo cooool brrrr

[​IMG]

Btw. I would'nt recommend you one of those original EBS cases. 200 euro's, Increadible heavy, and no decent front/back cover.

My amp is housd in a (special made) flight case of 5 units (same hight as a 4 units SKB!) and as the amp has a depth of 25cm, with a total depth of only 40cm. This makes the amp case the same size as the top of the cabinet which is very handy when transporting the rig.