Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

1 speaker output vs. 2 speaker outputs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Berten, Mar 1, 2005.

1. Berten

Berten

Jun 6, 2002
    Belgium
    I have a small question...

I noticed that amps like ashdown or warwick (Xtreme) have only 1 speaker output but my hartke 3500 has two of them.
    Can you only power 1 speaker with the ashdown or can you link the ashdown speakercabs with each other to have 2 cabs running?

Thanks,

Berten

2. atldeadhead

atldeadhead

Jun 17, 2002
    Georgia
    You can run any number of speakers in series off of that one output however the total combinded speaker (ohm) load must not exceed the maximum allowable load. If you look on the speaker output jack it probably tells you what the maximum speaker load is for your amp. For most solid state amps it's 4ohms. A lot of all tube amps will run a 2 ohm load as will some solid state amps.

If you do a search here on talkbass for "ohms" and "speakers" and "amps" I'm sure you'll turn up a wealth of useful information on how to calcuate speaker loads as well as more torough explainations of some of the terms I've used.