1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

1 String Through Bridge, 3 Through Body?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by BassGod, Jan 31, 2006.

1. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    Hello all. I had an idea, but I don't know what negative effects it will have. I like lots of tension of the E, A, and D strings, but I'd rather a looser feel on the G, for bending and the like. Right now I string through the body for added tension (and I've heard it allows you to have lower action) but I was thinking of stringing the G through the bridge and the rest through the body. Anyone done this? Any reasons why I shouldn't?

Thanks,
    Graeme

2. That's very interesting... Try it out! It may work!

3. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    It won't hurt anything, but I doubt if you will find the kind of difference in tension that you think you will. Try it and see, it won't hurt, but don't expect too much.

4. I tend to agree with Showdown, don't see how it could make a big difference in tension of the fingered string unless you somehow changed the action.

My guess is that the best way to get a looser G string would be to change the gauge of that one string or use a string of a different type of construction.

Another thing you could try, but might not want to (I would not do it - I'm confused enough), would be to tune that string down - but that would require you to change your playing to compensate.

Best of Luck,
    S

5. If you wanted a huge difference you could always get yourself a big-ish high C and tune it down to G. That's give you one VERY low-tension string.

6. SGT. Pepper

SGT. Pepper Banned

Nov 20, 2005
    Phila,Pa.
    Iv'e done it before. It provides a subtle difference. No big deal though.