Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

1 String Through Bridge, 3 Through Body?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by BassGod, Jan 31, 2006.

1. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    Hello all. I had an idea, but I don't know what negative effects it will have. I like lots of tension of the E, A, and D strings, but I'd rather a looser feel on the G, for bending and the like. Right now I string through the body for added tension (and I've heard it allows you to have lower action) but I was thinking of stringing the G through the bridge and the rest through the body. Anyone done this? Any reasons why I shouldn't?

Thanks,
    Graeme

2. That's very interesting... Try it out! It may work!

3. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    It won't hurt anything, but I doubt if you will find the kind of difference in tension that you think you will. Try it and see, it won't hurt, but don't expect too much.

4. I tend to agree with Showdown, don't see how it could make a big difference in tension of the fingered string unless you somehow changed the action.

My guess is that the best way to get a looser G string would be to change the gauge of that one string or use a string of a different type of construction.

Another thing you could try, but might not want to (I would not do it - I'm confused enough), would be to tune that string down - but that would require you to change your playing to compensate.

Best of Luck,
    S

5. If you wanted a huge difference you could always get yourself a big-ish high C and tune it down to G. That's give you one VERY low-tension string.

6. SGT. Pepper

SGT. Pepper Banned

Nov 20, 2005
    Phila,Pa.
    Iv'e done it before. It provides a subtle difference. No big deal though.