Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RyKnoz, May 20, 2002.

1. RyKnoz

Dec 22, 2001
  2. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Here's what I don't understand about the seeming majority of eBay bidders:

Why would you even waste time bidding on something until the last day? I mean, I understand registering a bid with a buffer so you could outbid people on the last day when they bid, but if you get into a bidding war 2,3, 4 days prior to closing, all you are doing is helping to jack up the friggin' price!

Why not wait until there is one minute left and then start bidding. That way, there is just enough time left for you to determine how high you need to bid in order to overcome someone's buffer.
  3. That's absolutely criminal! :mad:

I want one! :(

Mike J.
  4. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    or about selling basses - why would someone start that expensive a bass at 1 dollar, then spend the extra money to put a reserve on it?

my trick has been to start it at a little less than you'd be willing to sell it for, with a buy it now at a few bucks over what you want for it. works like a charm, and doesn't cost anything extra.
  5. SlimT

Feb 27, 2002
    Eden Prairie, MN
    I'm going to have to try that next time, Warwick5S!

I know when I've bought on ebay, I usually wind up doing it via buy it now, unless I see a very underpriced item.

Like..........a sadowsky for 1$!!!!
  6. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    A couple of facts:

The amount you choose to start your auction with is a factor in the aucton insertion fee. I usually start my auctions at 25 cents. If it's a reserve auction, the bass won't be sold if the reserve is not met. Besides, if the auction is seen by people who know how much the bass is worth, the price will go up to market value pretty quickly anyway.

As far as the last minute bidding is concerned, the last thing any buyer should want is for there to be a bidding war early on. Ideally, the price should be reasonably low, so you can can also get it for a reasonably low price at the end of the auction.

Of course, if money's no object, bid high to your heart's content, especially if you're buying from my auctions.:p
  7. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    I think there's a BiN fee of like $0.25 now. Nothing big.

I didn't realize the start price had an effect on the total fees. The Ebay fee system is so freakin' complicated.

I still don't understand why anyone would get excited about a "$1" anything when there's a reserve and it hasn't been met.

I don't see many "$1 with reserve" auctions anyway since I do an advanced search for "bass -boat" (heheh, no trawlers for me please!) with a *minimum* price to weed out all the cheapies :). But then I'm just spectating for the most part. If I want something specific I search for it.
  8. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    P.S. If I see something I'm interested in, I put a bid on it for what I'm willing to pay. If I get outbid at the last minute (happens a lot, yes), then so be it. "Bidding war" is exactly what happens when people do bid at the last minute, and go back and forth jacking it up by $10 each time, and when they're done the've added an extra hundred or two.
  9. rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Exactly! The only way to play the ebay game is to figure out what you're willing to pay and then place a single bid for that amount. If you get outbid, so be it...

10. bassplayajew

Mar 14, 2002
    Bethesda, MD
    i see where you got the $1 from but I also see it on sale for $760...but I have really bad eyes so I might be wrong
  11. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    I'm with Geshel. Who cares if the bidding starts at $1, because the reserve is probably around $2200!
  12. Blackbird

Mar 18, 2000
    This is one of the reasons I like to wait until the last minute to bid. If the bid values exceed my maximum bid amount, I don't bother to bid.

That's accurate. In my view, a "bidding war" occurs any time two or more buyers try to outbid each other by $10 or so. Usually that kind of bidding war happens within 3 minutes of the auction end. I don't understand why people even do it, as it gives other people ample time to outbid them. When I really want something, I wait till the last 60 seconds of the auction and place one bid. that way it's harder for other people to outbid me at the last 30 seconds or so. Also, if someone else outbids me, I have no time to try outbid that person, so it acts as a way to prevent excessive spending.

That's just me, of course.
  13. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Maybe. That can tip your hand to other bidders prematurely.

It's a game.
  14. SlimT

Feb 27, 2002
    Eden Prairie, MN

I admire your self-control!

I've had a few auctions where the I was involved in a bidding war. The feeling was similar to the one I get while pumping the slot machine knowing that the next pull is gonna be a winner. It's exactly as you described it - a hundred or so dollars and I'm kicking myself!

Luckily, the one like that I did win was a real winner.
  15. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

That's an Ebayer's best friend.:)
  16. malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    If it's something I think I REALLY want, I go in a day or two before the end and place a bid. I have my Palm set up to receive me eBay email. Since I'm almost always at work when auctions that interest me end, this serves three purposes:

1) I don't forget to bid on something I really want.
    2) I can get outbid notification if I do get outbid and still want to "play the game".
    3) I can set an alarm on my Palm to just before the end time and check my email. If I'm outbid, I can respond immediately if I so desire.

Otherwise, I agree with the thought that jumping in early can be detrimental to your wallet. It does tip your hand and can cause you to pay more than if you had stirred up interest.

17. $1?

Uh, it's at $1,376.00 (more or less) at the time of this post.

A Sadowsky for a dollar... yeah right dream on...:rolleyes: :p
  18. RyKnoz

Dec 22, 2001
    wow, i just posted that for the hec of it.
    I did't kno I would cause a debate.
    If I did I would've started this thing WAY LONG AGO!!;)
  19. Blackbird

Mar 18, 2000
    Bah, Unsportsmanlike. Either I play the winning hand or I don't want it.