1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

.1 vs .047

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Mtnman, Mar 19, 2013.

1. Mtnman

Mtnman

Jun 5, 2012
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I'm about to remove the Greasebucket setup from my Am Special P.

I've done some checking into various schematics and found that some stock circuits use a .1uf cap while others use a .047uf.

My question is, what is the overall difference in tone between the two?

If it helps to know, I've swapped out the stock p'ups with '62 CS Fenders.

2. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    I run the .047 cap (orange drop) with my 62 RIpups .This was the orignal value cap if I'm not mistaken for 60's-70's Fender basses. As for tone diff I have no idea.

3. khutch

khutch Praise Harp

Aug 20, 2011
    suburban Chicago
    A larger cap gives you a deeper/darker/muddier (it is all in the ear of the beholder!) tone. The most popular choice is 0.047 but 0.1 and 0.022 have a following too.

Ken

4. The frequency cutoff point changes with capacitance. Larger values have lower frequency cutoffs, smaller values have higher frequency cutoffs.

5. Mtnman

Mtnman

Jun 5, 2012
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Thanks guys. I think I'm gonna start with the .047 orange drop. I also have both a .1 and a .022 lying around here (all gifted to me by my tech buddy)so I can experiment a bit.

6. miles'tone

miles'tone

Feb 26, 2008
    Wales, U.K
    The American '62RI P-bass and the Custom shop Pino P-bass both have a .1 cap if that's any help.
    From what I've read here on TB, if you roll your tone wide open it doesn't matter what cap you have as the tone will be the same as the cap is not in affect.
    The .1 allows you to roll off "more".
    Personally I have a Fralin pup in my P with a .047 cap and it's fine. I fancy trying a .1 cap one day just to see.

Have fun!