1 x 15 or 2 x 10's????? Whats your preference? Why?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Grahams Groove, May 23, 2001.

1. 1x15

32 vote(s)
  2. 2x10

32 vote(s)
  1. What do you think???? Whats your preference in speakers.
    1 x 15
    2 x 10
  2. I really dig both at the same time, but if you only want one or the other, I would use the single 15".....

Hey wait I do use a single 15"......But I am trying to save up for an extension 2x10".....

I think the 2x10" would be louder , but the 15" would shake what their mommas gave them......
  3. oo0o00o0oo

Apr 30, 2000
    210's are probably more popular but I prefer 15's if I had to choose. I think they cover the tonal range better than 210's, at least my prefered tonal range...low-mids
  4. i think the 10's give a nice twangy sound but you really can not use just 2 10's becaus they can't handle to much be themselves, especially with a five string of coarse. but a 15 with 210's would be good
  5. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    My personal preference is for 15" speakers-I feel they have a fatter sound. I do agree with bassman454 however-2 10's on top of a 15 sounds awesome!
    There are some 2x10 cabs that I feel do a good job on there own however. The SWR IMHO is one of these-I'm going by what I've had the chance to listen to.
    Just my 2 cents.
  6. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Both, if the room is big enough and you have the option. If you can only have one, the Eden D210XLT puts out more bottom than most 15's and is greatly preferable for me due to its tweeter. Better definition, etc. That Eden 210 is rated at 350watts, BTW. Ain't cheap, tho.
  7. Two 10's almost always require less cabinet volume than a single 15".

(1) 15" driver moves approximately the same amount of air that (2.7) 10" drivers will move. Compare the Vd specs from the Thiele-Small data charts for your drivers. This is the piston area of the driver * Xmax, or the total amount of air volume displaced by the driver in one direction.

The 15's move a lot more air than the 12s or 10s, and an Eminence 18" Kilomax moves 1.67x the air moved by the 15" Kilomax.
  8. Actually if you do the math the 15 has about 15% more surface area and the volume the cone displaces is also proportionally larger... the difference is apparent........ but I really like the hartke 210 with the 5 inch speaker in there with it... very very very funky
  9. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    This doesn't really answer the question, but it's a fun story: I started off playing with a fifteen. I wanted to upgrade to a 15 and a 2x10, but I am poor, so I took my old speaker box from my car and converted it to accept a 1/4" plug, giving me a 2x12 to go with my 1x15. Then, that sucked, so I started looking at REAL 2x10s. Then I thought, "Why not a 4x10?" When I came into some money last summer, I bit the big one and bought a 6x10 to go with my 15-incher. If I would have to play with just one cab or the other, I think I would choose my 6x10. No, wait...my 1x15. No....er...maybe...
  10. jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    I'm in the "both" category -- I love the combination of a 2X10 and a 1X15. The 10s really give that midrange punch that cuts through, and the 15 shakes the floor.
  11. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    I put 2x10... Right now portability is very high on my list. Of course I don't have a 1x15 anymore.. now I just have a 2x15.
  12. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i've got an SWR 2x10 and a triad, and a bass 350 head.

if it's a small gig (coffee shop jazz gig, upright, etc) i bring the 2x10
    if it's a medium gig i bring the triad
    and if i want to be loud (which is most of the time) i bring 'em both. it's really a sweet setup i must say.

if any serious volume is involved i like having a 15 behind me, but the 2x10 cuts just fine.

13. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I prefer to be portable and let the PA crank out the rumble. A Good 2-10 cab is lighter and smaller and gives you plenty of tonal range.

I play a 410 cabinet. So I guess I shouldn't even comment at all.

14. oo0o00o0oo

Apr 30, 2000
    I'm pretty sure my 15 is significantly lightter than my 210. I'm don't know if this is true for all bands though...
  15. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Methinks some folks need to redo their math....

...2-10" speakers will have MORE surface area than 1-15" speaker. They also respond more quickly, making them much more preferable to me. I hate nothing more than having to wait on a note to develop when I play it. I wanna hear it NOW.

Gimme 2-10"s any day. My Peavey 210txf's are rated +/-3dB at 30 Hz, find me a 15" cab that has those specs, particularly in their price range! :) I never have trouble getting good lows and low mids with what I use, which is typically two Peavey 210txf's. I'll leave one at home for really small gigs, but don't do many of those lately, and my band is LOUD.

Oh, and bassman545, I play 5 and 6 string bass, heavy on the lower notes, lots of time spend below the low E. Particularly with an NS Design CR5M electric upright - you want LOW, hit the open B on that puppy!!!! The 10's handle it just fine, don't need no stinkin' 15 here.....
  16. Nope. IMO the math stands as accurate. The area of the speaker cone that moves the air is called the piston. The total volume of air moved by the cone is the piston area * the excursion (Xmax).

For an example lets compare the Eminence Kilomax Pro 15" and their Kappa Pro 10". The piston areas of the 10 and 15 are 56.75 sq.in. and 132.72 sq. in. respectively. The 15" has 2.335 times more piston area than the 10". Or, it takes 2.335 10" to have the same piston area as one 15".

Now consider the volume of air moved by both. In mililitres, the 15" moves 680ml compared to 135ml for the 10". Doing the math, the 15" moves 5.037 times more volume than the 10" moves. Or, it takes 5.037 10" speakers to move the same volume of air as the single 15".

The 10" has more electromotive force per unit of cone weight, air mass, and acoustic load, than does the 15". This is why many 10's have more punch, because they can accelerate and decelerate faster than most 15s. The exception is probably the JBL E-145, which has a far higher Bl factor than nearly everything else. I suspect the JBL has more punch than most 10s.

The 10" does not have as low a frequency response as the 15".
  17. MikeyD

Sep 9, 2000
    Thanks for handling that, bgavin. Gotta get the facts out to allay confusion. Your mentioning acceleration was right on. You could get a 10" driver to have a lower resonant frequency than a 15" by making its cone really massive, etc., but then it wouldn't be very punchy nor efficient.

My estimates of piston area were slightly less, since I ignore the surround and measure just the non-flexible cone itself. That may be a little conservative. How do you measure the effective piston diameter (i.e., the part that is radiating sound)?

- Mike
  18. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    OK, y'all win. The 15" has more area. I'll still take my 210 cab over any 115 I've ever heard. :D
  19. RTFM: read the friendly manual.

Piston area or diameter is a required Thiele-Small data point, and the manufacturers publish it, if they publish T/S data for their drivers. I've never seen Celestion publish any T/S, and I think I saw somewhere they make a statement that they specifically won't publish it.
  20. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    write in vote here for a single 4x10 cab, they get much more depth than a 2x10 ever could, are more versatile than a single and get much more of the needed mid-range frequencies that a 15 cant, and lets you run at higher sound pressures if need be that a 2x10 cant handle.