Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

1 year of physical therapy YAY!!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Josh Ryan, Aug 2, 2005.

1. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I hate the military press machine, and I hate how I always put off going to the docs. Kids, go to the damn doctor when you hurt yourself, don't wait, you only screw yourself in the end.

2. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Did you tear tendon using the military press or something?

I love the military press myself- it makes it seem like I can lift double my actual bench press limit :D

3. Oy!

Bliss, man, what did you do?

Mike

4. Ow, I'm sorry! I've got 2/4 sessions down. They make me do silly things like pick up marbles with my toes and put them into a bowl. Prepare for other awesome excercises such as this.

5. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Connecticut
    m

Is that possible? Nevermind, I don't want to know. :bag:

6. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Uh oh, what happened???

I am not fond of the military press, but to get the huge back, I find it necessary.

-Mike

7. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    I injured some muscles, and didn't see the doc about it. I left it alone for almost a year, and the tissue around the injury atrophied even though the injury healed. I have about a year of painful stretching if I want to regain full mobility, which I do.

8. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    Video headed your way.... :p

j/k, you know I'd never do that to you Joe. ;)

9. Personal trainers get far more work from injury management clients than from parties interested in injury prevention.

Ensure when you are working through a comeback from injury that you take things slowly and have the latest and best information available to you.

Hope it all works out for you Bliss

10. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    thanks. I have stretches to do at home, so far they hurt like hell but after a day of it I can say my range of motion already feels a little bit better.

11. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Yo Bliss, just remember that your personal trainer / doctor has a vested interest in your healing taking time.

12. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    Let me just say... size does matter.

Oh and good luck bliss:)

13. :rolleyes: Actually, Toast, the doctor and the physical trainer would have more of a financial interest in their client repeating and further complicating their initial injury.

Most health care professionals aren't quite as cold-hearted as you may believe. The full and successful recovery of a person from injury is my only goal when I'm training someone.

14. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    this Doc seems fairly hard core.... the "you should do this but I doubt you will..SO PROVE ME WRONG (insert pejorative here)". He didn't say it like that, but that is how it came across. My arm and shoulder feel remarkabley better after only a few days, so I think this is going to work out well. I just need to be careful to not re-injure it.

15. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    Good luck on your recovery Bliss!

The stretching will get easier over time, so stick with it! Plus, the benefits far outweigh any pain you may experience initially.

ya pansy

:p

Best wishes!

16. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    thanks Will.

It's that good kind of pain really, sort of like the pain you get when something that was really out of line snaps back into place, if that makes any sense.