1 year old bassist

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by zilla04, Jan 22, 2001.

1. zilla04

Feb 11, 2000
    Today, 01/22/01, is one year to the day that I first played bass, so I'm a one year old bassist. I was wondering what it was like for all you veteran bassist when you hit the one year mark, like what songs you knew and if you ever thought you would get as good as you are now?
  2. I guess, after having played bass for (just) one year (the number is 8 now), I was really focusing on what I couldn't do, rather than what I could. If you told me, then, that I would play the bass I play now, the way that I play now, I'd laugh in yer face and call you an idiot.

But to answer the question: I couldn't do nothing, compared to what I can do now.
  3. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i celebrated my 1 year playing anniversary by playing some rush tunes, including yyz, at a party - yyz was a sort-of benchmark for me back then.

at 2 years it was hemispheres (the song) and school days (stanley clarke) or at least as much of school days as i could play on a rickenbacker. :D
  4. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...sheesh; at one-year, I was still workin' on playin' the major scale with more than ONE finger on my fretting hand...
    Really, I didn't begin to commit myself & get disciplined until the Summer of '74(a year & 1/2 after getting a bass on Christmas '72). I spent, literally, 8-10 hours per day learning to play that Summer(while my more talented friends spent the days at the beach/pool).
  5. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Interesting topic, but I think it suits another forum better. Maybe "Miscellaneous." I'll leave this here until tomorrow, then I will move it to Miscellaneous. OK?

Oh, BTW, after one year, I was terribly depressed, because with all the effort I had exerted, I still felt as if I knew very little and still felt I could hardly play a bassline to any song. I knew scales, chords, modes, arpeggios, but didn't really know what to do with them.

jason oldsted
  6. After one year of playing bass, I didn't get down on myself for my inability to play. I didn't practice scales until I knew them back and forth. I guess I never really cared how well I played - I just knew I wanted to play, and did so to the best of my ability - and had enormous amounts of fun, no matter how well (or bad) I could play.

I now realize that once I had ability to play more the way I would like to be able to, it's even more tons'o' fun to play - but it has always been fun.

If you enjoy it, work hard at it - you'll get better.

Bottom line is - Just have fun!
  7. I'm on my one-year, too, as it were. Though it's really more of a comeback as I played some about 10 years ago, but I never got very far at all, and had to give it up quickly.

I'm doing stuff now that there is NO WAY I could have even thought of doing last year. I know much much more about music, theory and how it all comes together, thanks to my great teacher. I can read music (not great, but fair), and I'm doing my own composing and playing all instruments including bass on my one-man band project, Entry Level (plz click on the link below and check it out :D ). I feel like I've come miles in a year, but realize full well there is a long journey of discovery still ahead. I'm having a great time!
  8. I´ve been playing for 11 years....I always celebrate.... :oops:)
  9. Wes I AM

Wes I AM

May 27, 2000
    Tampa, FL
    i think my one year anniversary is in about one month and i have found out that playin the bass geetar is something that has been coming naturally to me for a long time (unlike spelling and algebra). i mean i am not bragging, its just that every song i want to learn comes pretty quickly, and i play mostly 311 and stuff in that vecinity(sp?). and making up lines is getting easier and easier. i cant wait to see what i am capable of in a couple more years! this is such a great instrument. later
  10. yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    For about the first 12 months I was playing bass, I didn't have my own axe, so I had to borrow my uncle's once a week on a Saturday night, which meant that my development was somewhat stunted. But I've got two now, so I don't know what excuse I have now...