Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

10" Aluminum speaker repair

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tonynoriega, Oct 31, 2004.

1. tonynoriega

tonynoriega Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    I bought a Hartke 10" aluminum cone speaker to replace one in my cabinet, but it got damaged in shipment. The aluminum cone is not actually torn, but is bent from the outer rim to about 3/4" inward from that. The surround is torn in that area.

Has anyone on TB tried to repair it themselves? Any advice on the straightening process of the cone? Also, I'm thinking about getting a speaker shop to replace the surround (it looks like an acordian surround) and would like to know what a fair price might be for that service.

Thanks in advance for any advice.....

Tony Noriega in Tampa

2. Jackbass

Jackbass

Dec 19, 2003
    Paris (FRANCE)
    It s not the right place to post!!!

3. tonynoriega

Jun 26, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    Which section is the correct one?

4. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
  5. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
  6. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    If it got damaged in shipping, you sould have contacted the shipping company, because I am sure it was insured. That insurance is there to cover such scenarios. You may be too late by now.

7. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Tony,

Can you post a picture?

You'll have to gently work the cone back into shape. Be careful not to tear it.

As for the surround....I'd recommend that you get some cotton fabric and fold it to mimic the pleats in the surround, the glue it in with rubber cement and coat the whole piece with rubber cement.

AFAIK, no one can recone an aluminum cone speaker Hartke speaker...I asked Speaker Shop near Kalamazoo, MI and they said they can replace voice coils, but if the cone is damaged, you'll have to buy a new speaker from Hartke. I recently called Hartke and a replacement (for a 4.5XL) is $120 plus shipping.

Have fun!!!

8. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    bump so they're together...for a brief moment anyway...

9. tonynoriega

Jun 26, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    BillyB:

Thanks for the useful info. Before I attempt a surround repair I'll try to post a photo (I have one but haven't posted on on TB before).

I'm reasonably sure I can get the aluminum back to an approximation of the original shape - at least good enough so that the surround will bond properly.

Thanks again,

Tony Noriega
    Tampa