Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

10 Band EQ as a preamp...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by IcedEarthWOM, Dec 15, 2005.

1. IcedEarthWOM

IcedEarthWOM

Oct 2, 2005
    I pretty much have all the pedals I need for my tone and all I use my small little 15 watt for is the EQ and the speaker. I'm wondering if I could use an EQ (10+Band in particular) to boost the sig to line level and possibly use it as a preamp/DI.

Looking into a pedal version like the MXR M-108....

2. It will need to have a fair bit of boost in order to acheive line level, which might result in excess noise. Only way to be sure is to try a few out and see if they can handle it.

A DI feed is balanced (and NOT line level, but microphone level) and an EQ pedal is not going to balance the signal for you unless it's specifically built as a DI.

So, aside from the balanced signal problem, seems there's a dilema there in trying to make it do two things at once, produce line level for your power amp (I'm assuming that's what you need it for) and mic level for a DI feed.

3. IcedEarthWOM

IcedEarthWOM

Oct 2, 2005
    figured out what I can do:

The Kerry King version has TWO outputs :D , and my RV-5 (reverb, and my only "FX loop" effect) can do stereo, which is basically two ins, two outs (I'm sure that most if not all verbs do stereo and I just put the two ins/two outs thing in there for clarity. please don't flame me :D )

If I get an MXR Micro Amp (or something like it) and put the FX in the following order it should work, right????

MXR 10-Band (KK ver) -> RV-5 (in #1) -> mic level in (from out #1)
    |
    --> Micro Amp -> RV-5 (in #2) -> power amp (from out #2)

any sugestions on the micro amp thing would be apreciated, thanks

--IcedEarthWOM

4. well sure, that might work, except I'd put the micro amp after the RV-5 to avoid overloading it.

However, the "mic level" signal is still not balanced so it's far from ideal as a DI feed. And by the time you've paid for a micro amp you may as well have just bought a DI box and be done with it. Most DI boxes have a loop through input as well as an XLR output - and if you got a BDDI it also acts as a preamp - with a third "effected" output, EQ and level control and overdrive capability.

5. IcedEarthWOM

IcedEarthWOM

Oct 2, 2005
    "Food" for thought....... :meh:

Thanks for the advice, It's actually really helped :D