Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

10 band EQ + Focus... good idea?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ::::BASSIST::::, Sep 30, 2005.

1. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Well, I decided I want to sell my SA Focus and get one of the new series III Focus with preamp integrated.

I am also thinking of getting a MXR M108 10 Band Eq. My thinking is that with 10 band eq I can set the sliders to either fingerstyle tone or pick tone (dont know which yet) and then forget it. I play fingers 60% of the time and I find I am constantly having to re eq everytime I change playing styles. The idea is when I want to switch to fingers or pick, just push the bypass footswitch to use only the pre from the focus.

Any drawbacks to this scenario?

2. natrab

natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    You shouldn't really have to switch EQs for different playing styles. With a little work, you can get the dynamics of your fingerstyle and slap to both sound good without making changes. This is something I've been working on for a while now.

Now as far as using an EQ with AI amps to get your tone, I think it's necessary. I used a True Blue EQ with my Focus and it made a world of difference.

3. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Hmm... well, I dont slap at all... strictly fingerstyle and pick for me. I find that a change of eq is necessary because;

1. pick playing increases my volume output.

2. when I switch to pick I turn up the bass eq and turn down the treble.

3. I want to get my tones from both styles sounding somewhat the same. I know that's not really possible, but I definitely want more beef and less treble when i play pick. Oh, and the same volume b/n the two also.

When I get fast enough to drop the pick altogether I will be pleased, but that aint gonna happen anytime soon as my right hand finger speed is just to slow for some songs.

I'll have to look into that True Blue eq. Is it better than the m108?

4. natrab

natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Hm, I usually don't find a need for EQ between pick and fingerstyle tones, but if you have the ear for it, then go for it. I love the True Blue. Very tasteful settings (since you can't control the Q), and it makes it really easy to get the sound you want as opposed to the limited EQ of the Focus.

It isn't a stompbox, however, so you would have to get a separate switch to control it being on or off.

5. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Another thought is changing the EQ on your bass, rather than your amp, when you change styles. Maybe that's more of a guitarist thing, but it works for me.

6. el_Kabong

el_Kabong

Jul 11, 2005
    The boss eq20 is worth a look too. As well as being able to store your presets you get to footswitch between 3 options: off, what's on the sliders and the currently active preset.

7. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    I never touch the eq on my amp during a gig. I have balance controls on my basses and play with that all night, and/or play closer to the neck or the bridge. I fyou need different eq settings, a graphic pedal will work. I suspect the programmable SABDDI would work as well also.