1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

10 Best Female Bassists at TopTenz!

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by 5minutes, Oct 11, 2013.

1. 5minutes

5minutes

Oct 16, 2012
    Guys, I don't post here much (there's so much good information on bass here that reading these forums is a mind-boggling experience that makes my head spin - in a good way...), but I did want to share with you that I have a list published at TopTenz.net on the Top 10 Female Bassists.

And yeah - it's mostly my opinion. I'm happy with that.

Feel free to read the list, comment, criticize, whatever. Enjoy!

2. Nice list. I still wanted to see Julie Slick up there!

3. Milk

Milk

Sep 16, 2013
    Montreal, Canada
    While most of these bassists ARE in fact good these kinds of list tend to just become a "here's all the female bassits I could think of" list. I mean there's a bit of fillers here...ok so you CAN i suppose say a lot of the Pixies basslines are pretty iconic but beyond that... Kim Deal's obsession with keeping it simple is about as annoying as most bassists obsession with not keeping it simple (there's this video on youtube where she pretty much makes fun of bassists that "can play"...)

Melissa Auf der Mar? Seriously? In SP she just played the stuff that was written, and nobody deserves any recognition ever for having been in Hole. Yeah so eventually she got her solo project and all and...no one cared...

The article also mentioned D'arcy Wretzky at the end. Who like barely ever wrote one bassline in Smashing pumpkins and could only just about play them. And everyone knows Aimee mann as a singer bassist but i think she'd be the first to recognize there is nothing special or noteworthy about her bass playing.

The thing is, i don't have an issue with basic run-of-the-mill players, you play the music you want the way you well want to play it and that's all good. But i do have an issue when you put them in a best bassists list.

4. 5minutes

5minutes

Oct 16, 2012
    Admittedly true. Mostly my intention was to develop a list of good female bassists that people could refer to in order to encourage girls who want to take up the instrument. Sadly, I still hear a lot of "girls don't play bass" around where I live - mostly from girls.

Honestly, I wish I could've titled the list "Ten Great Female Bassists", but the site is "TopTenz", not "TenGreats". Obviously, any list is open to nitpicking (I do it all the time) and, like you say, is mostly going to come down to opinion vs. opinion.

5. Milk

Milk

Sep 16, 2013
    Montreal, Canada
    I hadn't picked up on the fact you wrote the list. I'd have addressed you directly instead of third person then. sorry.

Great, id have no problem with. Though, I mean..understand...i don't even think best should mean "technically proeficient" but there has to be something that makes you stand out. Like i think Tina Weymouth is fine and like you said on a technical level she's just ordinary. But Auf Der Mar and kim deal...I think Kim Deal mainly gets credit from having been in the pixies. I think any other bassist filling her role would probably have done about the same basslines or better. But i guess we'll never know.

6. billgoodwin

billgoodwin

Mar 28, 2011
    Roanoke,VA
    +1

7. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Kim Deal...LOL!

8. bkbirge

bkbirge

Jun 25, 2000
    Houston, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Steak n Shake
    "there are a ton of other great female players out there, including Kim Gordon (Sonic Youth), Aimee Mann (Til Tuesday, solo), Divinity Roxx (Beyonce), D’Arcy Wretzky (Smashing Pumpkins), Juliana Hatfield (The Lemonheads, solo), and Gail Greenwood (Belly)."

--------------------------------------
    Julianna Hatfield or Kim Gordon really?

Apparently being a great female bass player requires 1) haz bass 2) iz famous femalez

I like how Kim Deal is shown playing a guitar, lol. There are some definite worthies on that list, Ndegocello for sure is one.

I do like the OP's idea to encourage girls to pick up the bass and maybe this is a good list for that. It also kind of reads like the OP grew up in the 90's and doesn't listen to much other music though.

However you think of the actual list, it is completely worth looking at just for Carol Kaye's blues jam with Wooten and Bailey. Never saw that before, awesome, thanks to the OP for sharing that.

9. Stick_Player

Stick_Player Banned

Nov 13, 2009
    Somewhere on the Alaska Panhandle (Juneau)
    Endorser: Plants vs. Zombies Pea Shooters
    Geeze! Who's in charge of putting this list together?

Whomever it is, they need to get out more.

:D

10. ChopperDave

ChopperDave Hai-ohhhhhhh!

Nov 14, 2012
    Boston, MA
    +1

And even then, it's not the good ones--it's the most visible ones. I mean, if you're going to include auf der Maur but fail to list Josephine Wiggs, Laura Ballance, Katy Goodman, or Kim Gordon--all of whom are either better or at least more interesting/influential players and are not routinely chided for not playing or writing their parts--then it sounds like your record collection is lacking and you didn't do any other research. Calling it "Top Ten" makes it sound like you've got some authority beyond Googling "chicks who play bass."

At least you left out Paz.

11. 5minutes

5minutes

Oct 16, 2012
    That would be me.

12. 5minutes

5minutes

Oct 16, 2012
    Again, I went with MY favorite female bassists. I tend to have a different point of view as to want makes a good bass player. Technical proficiency, stage presence, songwriting, contributions to the band / music in general, etc. all combine to put people where I had them.

If you've got differing opinions, that's fine. My real point with the list was simply to draw attention to female bass players. I've run into far too many people recently who think that bass is a boy's instrument and I wanted to prove them wrong. Unfortunately, I couldn't entitle the list "bass players I really like who have a ton of other abilities but who also may not represent who everyone else thinks is best, but at least I'm drawing attention to girl bassists"...

13. 5minutes

5minutes

Oct 16, 2012
    Yeah. Really.

3) Noes hows to plays.

Yeah... I didn't have control over that.

Technically, I grew up in the 70's and 80's, but I didn't pick up bass until the 90's. Most of my influence comes from that period, which probably shows a bias towards alternative music.

And I'd like to thank the guy who filmed it, whoever it is. I came across that and just about squealed like Justin Bieber at a pocketbook store.

14. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Bikki Johnson
    Rika Fanning
    Janice Marie Johnson
    Ida Funkhouser
    Debra Killings
    Divinity Roxx

15. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Where I live if there is a girl musician in the band she plays bass... actually aside from one all girl band and one girl drummer I cannot think of any female musicians in my scene that are not bass players...

The girl bass players are usually a girlfriend or they couldn't find anybody to hold the root and nothing more. This list does have a couple players that fit that one of those roles but I suppose so does Adam Clayton. Nashville Pussy's guitarist (maybe singer) married a girl from my city and guess what instrument she plays in the band... bass!

16. ThudThudThud

ThudThudThud

Jun 4, 2010
    Johnette?

17. Ewo

Ewo a/k/a Steve Cooper Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2008
    Huntington WV
  18. BobaFret

BobaFret

Jan 22, 2008
    Can't have this list without the grandma of groove.

825cc67c0bb69847d11aa175603238723f1921e0.