10 cd's bass players should listen to

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by chris griffiths, Aug 22, 2002.

1. chris griffiths

chris griffiths

Aug 20, 2002
    nashville tn
    Endorsing artist: Gallien Krueger
    ok you guys I wanna hear it 10 cd's you think bass players should listen to I'll give you my ten quick and you can always change it up but I want 10 cd's and a little paragraph saying why you like it

1. Off the deep end Gov't mule- one it's a great rockin album with wonderful vocals and playing by many great musicians and I love the throw from bass player to player and how they each put their different spin on things. My favorite track off that is Maybe I'm a Leo

2. Jaco pastorius-jaco pastorius

COme on come over is a wonderful funk bass line that shows how technique can be incorporated into a musical context. Opus Pocus has great overlapping rhythms and potrait of Tracy shows how truly beautiful electric bass can be.

3. Stevie wonder-songs in the key of life

Now I think I won't get too much disagreement that one of the best bass players in the world is stevie wonders hand. and Nathan Watts is also awesome on this album start to end nothing but a fun educational rump shaking experience. and everyone should sit down with the run from sir duke it's so musical

4. Sly and the family stone greatest hits

although it doesn't have my favorite sly songs on it it's a good starting place and cornerstone listening for anyone who wants to be a funk or R&B player. my version is an import and has If you want me to stay on it which is my favorit track. Larry Graham and Jamerson made Electric R&B what it is today. if this band didn't exist we'd have no pfunk no prince nothing fun and certainly no chili peppers which brings me to

5. Blood sugar sex magic The red hot chili peppers

oh my god this is what it sound like when the interplay between the bass and guitar is perfect and absolutely perfect. every song. If I had to single one out the drop D lick on if you have to ask is my favorite. remember this is pre modulus flea

6. Fela Kuti expensive ****/he miss he road

this combination of 2 Fela albums is awesome because it is a fully functional funking section. this is wonderful for anyone who wants to know more about fleas roots and clave playing and how to jam and keep it interesting. Phish heads shouldn't definitley listen to this and get a new look on jamming.

7.Rancid Lets go

Ok fine bring the protests I just love the bass playing on this album

8. Vic Wooten Show of hands

ok this album is actually not something I pop in my CD player all the time I do however enjoy his playing especially me and my bass guitar and his cover of overjoyed. I can really appreciate the playing and his technique and how he preserves his musicality on this album. That is the nicest thing you'll ever hear me say about vic.

9. Screaming Headless torsos self titled

absolute amazing playing their like a musically proficient chili peppers with searing lyrics and vocal scat lines (and yodelling) incredible drumming freakey twisty guitar playing and no compromise pocket donated by fima ephron

10. parliement funkadelic -funkentelechy vs the placebo syndrome

I like this Pfunk album the best because I think it shows how bass can be played with flair and flash and still be supportive. I hate when one of my bass buds crosses over into a "lead" role. Man never forget that solos are good and solos or great but everything is supportive and you are the root of everything. whoever the bass player is (thats right I don't know) is awesome I think it's bootsy and I absolutely love the line in funkentelechy

so those are my ten albums people should listen to if they need a twist on things. so lets hear it people whatcha got to say
  2. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    My drummer pal used to call Dean Bowman's vocal style this-
    "Bebop Yodeling".

BTW, if you like SHT, check out The Hasidic New Wave(Fuse & Fima Ephron's Klezmer band. They sound, at times, like electric Miles meets Weather Report meets Hendrix. HNW is fronted by 2 horns; the drummer is also very happening).
    Believe me, as much as I love the SHT, I may like the HNW even better(no Bebop Yodeling). ;)

Sly's "If You Want Me To Stay"-
    That's from Fresh, right?
    Did Graham play on that track? Seem to recall somebody sayin' that Sly played bass on that one.
    In any event, it is a great tune(RHCP do a nice job of covering it on Freaky Styley)
  3. also that has to be one of the best recordings I have ever heard as well. I havent heard them with out Dean, But I liked the occasional yodeling alot. thats also makes my top ten album ever, yes I am very odd
  4. BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    Not big in rap, but there are these 2 really good CDs that I think should at least be checked out if not bought:

Master P - Ghetto D

Mystikal - Ghetto Fabulous

The bass lines, which some are from a studio bassist, are hooking and work well with the songs.

Now for a bass BASS playing, sure, Show of Hands, as you said, but also:

Victor Wooten - Live In America

Great stuff for groovin and funkin'. Yeah, "Me and My Bass Guitar", great live version, these songs just last long and are great for just leaving on playing in the home stereo.
  5. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    1. Stevie Wonder - Songs in the Key of Life (Nathan East)
    2. Marvin Gaye - What's Going On? (James Jamerson, Bob Babbit)
    3. Miles Davis - Kind of Blue (Paul Chambers)
    4. Duke Ellington - Money Jungle (Charles Mingus)
    5. Jaco Pastorius - Jaco Pastorius (Jaco)
    6. The Meters - Funkify Your Life (George Porter, Jr.)
    7. Paul Simon - Graceland (Bakhiti Khumalo)
    8. James Brown - Make It Funky (Bootsy Collins)
    9. Dave Matthews Band - Before These Crowded Streets (Stephan Lessard)
    10. Brian Brumberg - Wood (Brian)
  6. Charles Mingus-Blues and Roots
    Oscar Pettiford-Deep Pasion
    MinuteMen-Double Nickels
    Frank Zappa-Best band you never heard in your life.
    Sam Jones-Soul Society
    John Coltrane-Ole
    King Crimson-Discipline
    Alice Cooper-Schools Out
    Oscar Peterson-At the Stratford Shakespearean
    Funkadelic-Maggot Brain
  7. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    1. Heavy Weather- Weather report
    2. Wood - Brian Bromberg
    3. Yin Yang - Victor Wooten
    4. Time is of the essence- Michael Brecker(there is actually no bass palyer on this album...but it is very well composed and played...any player could learn alot from it)
    5. Hymm of the seventh universe - Return to forever
    6. Fire On the Bayou - The meters
    7. Green onions - booker T. and the mgs(or the best of..album)
    8. Tales From the underground - Medeski Martin and Wood
    9. Voices - Mike Stern
    10. Budakhan Mindphone - Squarepusher
  8. Fliptrique

Jul 22, 2002
    Szczecin, Poland
    Endorsing Artist: Mayones Guitars&Basses, Taurus Amplification
    1. red hot chilli peppers - b,s,s&m. raw groove.
    2. faith no more - album of the year. paranoid groove.
    3. primus - antipop - advanced groove.
    4. mr bungle - california - invisible groove.
    5. infectious grooves - any album - fast groove.
    6. marcus miller & miles davis - siesta - suble groove.
    7. led zeppelin - IV - old school groove.
    8. anna maria jopek - any album - jazz groove.
    9. kayah - earilier stuff - smooth groove.
    10. blues brothers - the soundtrack. groove.

9. sleazylenny

Jun 20, 2002
    Mpls, MN
    And for those of you who just want to get out and push...

Anything by AC/DC

...Great examples of the subtle art of drilling those 8th notes, staying in the pocket and moving the song along. :D
  10. Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    i couldn't agree more.

iron maiden - killers
    thin lizzy - nightlife
    scorpions - anything from the uli roth era (the guy before bucholz did some whacky stuff)
    mahavishnu orchestra - birds of fire
    al dimeola - elegant gypsy
  11. don't forget Erykah Badu - Live. Man, this is what soul and funk are supposed to be.

-add ANY Vic Wooten recording.