10" combo that handles the low B well...any?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ny_chan, Sep 13, 2005.

1. Is there such an amp?
  2. Basshole

Basshole Banned

Jan 28, 2005
    Since reproducing lows is a function of moving air, the logical question is "at what volume and distance?".

A single ten may make useful contrabass information at a relatively low volume, and close distance, but you still need to move considerable air to "fill a room". Thus, more is more, and bigger is definitely better.
  3. chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    SVT-II and Ampeg 8x10 is prob among the best combos.
  4. is this a sarcastic comment?
  5. natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA

I dare say the Ampeg 8x10 would be one of the worst cabs to project a strong low B.
  6. no, i would say that the 810 handles a low B with ease...

however... are we talking about combinations? or are we talking about a combo unit?

an SVTii & 810 is no combo amp...
  7. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Honestly, I have yet to play a 1x10 combo that TRULY does a good, real low B. If there is REALLY one out there, somebody tell us...
  8. Just tell us if it's a combo with only a 10' or two...
    If two, I know EBS GORM 210 do it very well!!
  9. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    If you need portability, what about an Acme B-2?
  10. Lebowski

Jul 11, 2005
    I have a Fender bassman combo 10" amp that sounds pretty good, But it's not very loud obviously. I think it's only like 25 watts? Could be wrong but... Short of Jamming with a drummer; it's cool. I use a Stingray5 and it doesn't seem to distort it at all.
  11. I had a chance to try some small cabs last weekend and spent some time on an Epifani 110UL. It handled a low C with ease (5 string B is one half step lower). However, I brought an Aguilar GS112 home instead because the cab had more presence as a whole, and I liked the tone better.

If you're looking for portability, there are small cabs with 10, 12, and 15 inch speakers that are more than capable of handling the low notes. Some of these cabs are even available as combos. I'd look at the Aguilar 1x12 combo, as well as the Epifani combos, if you have to have a combo. I think head and cabs are the way to go, personally, for more flexibility.
  12. Quality

May 7, 2003
    Long Beach, CA
    I recently picked up a GK Backline 210 combo.
    200 watts, 300 with an extension cab.
    No tweeter but a decent sized port between the 2 10's.
    I only play a five and this handles the B pretty well for a small combo.
    Plus. I'm digging the GK tone and portability after years of nothing but SWR and big heavy cabs.
    Keeps right up with a drummer but probably wouldn't fill the room with sound. Great if you have a PA to run through.
    I can't speak for the others (Aguilar, EBS, Epifani, ect) but I've only heard good things there as well.
  13. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Ferndale MI.
    Artist: Xotic Basses/AccuGroove
    Eden CXC110 combo. It has the Time Traveler head (TT330) in it and it gives it up pretty good. Holds the low B real well. It's also a co-ax ten (tweeter in the center of the speaker voice coil)
    I use one with my 5 string Sadowsky, BSX Allegro 5 EUB, and F Bass BNF 5. I do take an extra Eden CX 110 cab to most gigs as well.
    Check it out here:
    Eden CXC110 combo
    Keep in mind, no matter who makes a 110 combo, a single 10 will only move so much air.
  14. +1- I'm waiting on a replacement(thanks, UPS)unit right now. I already have the CX-110 ext. cab(it makes a fine stand for my Hartke KB-12), & when I finally get to use this rig, I'll fire up a review.
  15. Daytona955i

Feb 17, 2005
    Albany, NY
    I think you'd need at least a 1x15 combo for a low b to really come through.
  16. Another vote for the Eden CXC110. Sounds impressive on its own, and even better with a 4 Ohm 210 extension cab (eg Nemesis) for bigger gigs.
    Speaker size has very little to do handling low end. My Eden 210XST has more extended clean lows than any of the 15 & 18 dinosaurs I used in the past.
  17. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    For smaller 5 string gigs, I'll use an older SWR workingmans 10
    For its size, it does a great job with a low b, especially
    with active basses. My friend made something to attach
    his Focus to an Epi 110UL. At 24.5 lbs, its a killer combo.
  18. I admit I have not played a terribly high-end 1x15, but the cheap & mid-priced ones are great at reproducing mud.
  19. Daytona955i

Feb 17, 2005
    Albany, NY
    Not to be an ***hole but... is that a combo? No.
  20. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Hoffman's Iron Law: Small. Loud. Goes Low. Now pick any two, but you can't have all three. There most certainly could be 10" combos that will handle the low B, but they won't do so to high levels.